New 3d App!

I'm am very excited that ID gave you the engine source!That is great.It shows that some studios are willing to develop for the pandora or at least release sources to the community devs!Thats awesome news in it self and also doom at 15fps on the first try is incredible.Great work!

-EDIT-

I didn't realize is was april 1st :p.If this is a fools I'll cry haha.Plz be true...

Last edited by a moderator:
'lulzfish' said:
I consider this plausible, yet unlikely, since id will be releasing the Doom 3 source within another year or so anyway. [I heard 2009, but my memory isn't good]
It's actually very likely. I already made arguments in favor of Doom 3 in the Commercial Games thread several weeks ago, but to summarize, this gives the Pandora a huge head start. If the source is going to go open this year, it won't be for many months yet, last quarter of 2009 is what I recall.
But even if the source were open right now, an official commercial release allows them to also include the game data, data which could then be specifically tailored to the Pandora's resolution and size, packaged together into an easily downloadable and installable archive.
On the other hand, this could still be just an April Fools joke. The nonchalant nature of the announcement increases my suspicions of that, and the lack of video evidence doesn't help either. On the other other hand, maybe the joke is that it's not a joke. Pickle is sitting there all smug thinking "heh, suckers. They think it's an April Fools joke! What a bunch of losers. Well they'll see. Soon they'll all see!" And then he kills us all with his space laser.
I hate the jokes that are not jokes.

I forgot about the game data part. They'd definitely need id's help for that, since nobody else is supposed to distribute the data.

I love the jokes that aren't jokes, though. They keep things interesting.

'maciek_urbanski' said:
DOOM3 at 15fps ??

That's awesome. :D

Splendid job everybody !

And kudos to ID for being constantly supportive of open-source movement. :D
Damn - I replied forgetting about 1st April.

I guess laugh is on me. :D

Actually the laugh will be on Pickle when he doesn't produce a video. The last laugh as it were.

I would hope it's actually true. Would really be great.

Still April 1st... he might be either trying to confuse everybody or it's just another April fool (wouldn't be surprised)

Even if this is a joke, it's only a matter of time until they release the source code, and then it's another matter of time before somebody comes up with a shell script to downsample the textures to Pandora-sized.

@lulzfish

Pickle wouldn't relish his ruse if everyone thought like you. In fact he'd be in a pickle if his joke failed. I just don't think his joke is Kosher.

(Get what I did there?)

When the source is release does this mean it will be possible to port other games that run off the IDTech4 engine?Since the doom3 engine is the IDTech4 engine obviously.I guess what I'm asking is if it is possible to run doom3 will other games such as Quake4, Prey, and Wolfenstien be ported???

I'm pregnant with an ID and a Pandora, and also a katamari. Truth.

See, now this is either a goof farce or great news. The problem is that it being April 1st (and the PS2 farce having failed to fool anyone), this post is awesome.

Either:
1. It`s an April fools joke, but a lot of people don`t want to make fools out of themselves believing it.
2. It`s true but everyone is scared to believe it because of the date.

Also, if it were true, today would be the best day to post about it, especially after a few farcical posts have already been made. That way it is a double whammy, presented as truth, apearing to be fiction, but actually truth.

Either way... well played. Way to double twist April Fools day, fact or fiction aside. Well played.

Me? I`ll go with fiction, and eat my crow if wrong. Heck, gotta chose one option. Also, Laurent`s and Pickle`s interaction (and their posts in general) seems not quite right (not quite entirely with the character of posts in the past...). I usually get paid a lot to find the `hard to find` oddity, in order to find and fix it, and my spidey sence is tingling. Fiction it is, in my book.

'BackAssward' said:
Se, now this is either a goof farce or great news. The problem is that it being April 1st (and the PS2 farce having failed to fool anyone), this post is awesome.

Either:
1. It's an April fools joke, but a lot of people don't want to make fools out of themselves believing it.
2. It's true but everyone is scared to believe it because of the date.

Also, if it were true, today would be the best day to post about it, especially after a few farcical posts have already been made. That way it is a double whammy, presented as truth, apearing to be fiction, but actually truth.

Either way... well played. Way to double twist April Fools day, fact or fiction aside. Well played.

Me? I'll go with fiction, and eat my crow if wrong. Heck, gotta chose one option. Also, Laurent's and Pickle's interaction (and their post in general) seems not quite right. Fiction it is, in my book.
im embarrassed to say it fooled me
its possible just not practical, and i wasnt expecting practical, was really looking foward to playing gaeilge games on a portable machine

anyway i believe its fake, doesnt add up, pickle is obviously intelligent
he said it will be commercial until id releases the engine publically, however the gamedata wont be released publicly so that temporary thing is wrong

he also calls it an app ??????

'Pickle' said:
Ok its gone on long enough it was a april fools joke :)

But it highly probable we will see doom3 one day.
Shame, but congratulations in keeping the joke a believable one :)

Back