New 2x Owner

Rocky1980

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

I have just got my hands on a GP2X F100 firmware 2.0.0. It was a second hand one from eBay, all I got was the unit, USB cable the user guide CD.

I am having the following problems (no amount of searching on Google or forums brings up the answers)

1. When I connect the USB cable to my PC and then to the gp2x all I get is a message on the pc saying that it has found and unrecognized device (this is the same for my laptop and desktop). Do I need drivers??? I cannot find the answer to this one. I can copy files onto an SD card and put the SD card into the unit but that is very limiting and not what I want to do. The user guide us no help at all

2. The unit is very power hungry can anyone recommend a good psu (UK please) to use with it.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks

Rocky1980 said:
Hi all,

I have just got my hands on a GP2X F100 firmware 2.0.0. It was a second hand one from eBay, all I got was the unit, USB cable the user guide CD.

I am having the following problems (no amount of searching on Google or forums brings up the answers)

1. When I connect the USB cable to my PC and then to the gp2x all I get is a message on the pc saying that it has found and unrecognized device (this is the same for my laptop and desktop). Do I need drivers??? I cannot find the answer to this one. I can copy files onto an SD card and put the SD card into the unit but that is very limiting and not what I want to do. The user guide us no help at all

2. The unit is very power hungry can anyone recommend a good psu (UK please) to use with it.
Can anyone help me?

Many thanks

I got my psu from Argos ( £7.99 ) I think.. I`ll dig out the link for you tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
drivers are on the CD - No they are not the only files on that CD are html and gif nothing else

basic help can be found in the FAQ - Total waste of time, I know how to power it up and put batterys in it

Welcome aboard - Many thanks good to be here

Not sure what guide you have, but here's the official unofficial manual in PDF:

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,933 - Thats the one I have

The process is fully documented on pages 9-11, including where you can download the drivers. - Nope does not work the only file to download is no good.

I have also tryed upgrading the firmware to 2.1.1 but windows does not even pickup the unit at all, At lest withn 2.0.0 it does somthing

When you say power hungry, I take it that you are not using the right batteries? They need to be NiMH rechargeable batteries that are made for digital cameras. Mine are 2500 mAh. I get around 4 or more hours from them. Depends on what I am playing.
edit: Hooking your unit up to your computer, I have found, eats battery life.

And you are going to find that a card reader is the best way to do any file transfer to your SD card.

Just trying to help. :)

1. Get an SD reader, there is a $3 (total, free shipping) one available from ledshoppe.com http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA2018.htm

2. Get some real batteries, Duracell or Energizer NiMH are commonly available in Walmart or Target, etc. You should get at least 4 hours on a charge with those, get them with a charger, it is only about $20 or so.

There is a slight chance you have a bad internal regulation circuit, but that is easily fixed (so I hear, I have yet to see instructions). Until you are getting terrible play times on a fresh set of NiMH batteries don't even worry about a possible bad circuit like that.

Welcome to the scene, glad to have a new user around :).

If you have got XP, you don't need drivers to use the USB connection in the gp2x. This problem occured to me when I tried to plug it in my extended USB in the front of my PC, but it worked perfectly when I plugged it directly to the USB on my motherboard. Try all USB ports you have!
However, like nubie I recommend using a card reader.

nubie said it best .. which is ironic, because of his user name, and makes me :lol: all the time ;)

Thanks guys for all the help :D . I have updated the frimware to 2.1.1. The batterys I am using are Uniross Rechargeable 2000maH, but i am not sure how good the charger is :( . The USB problem is still driving me crazy :angry: , however everyone here is right just put the damm stuff on your SD card makes it all easy and it works just fine. The :gp2x is such a great little thing I love playing all my fav classics via emulator ( my old 16 and 32 meg SD cards have come in handy :rolleyes: )

Duracell makes a nice 2650MaH battery, and lasts a good long time.

</recommendation>

Well I have now tryed 3 diffrent usb cables in ever USB port on my laptop and big PC, and nothing :angry: :angry: Damm I thikn I will give up with the cable and just use my SD card reader :rolleyes: that works great

Back