Networking And Upnp

Zhadnost

Still Fresh
I am considering buying a GP2X and dock, I would like to know if there is any networking support?

Assuming there is no onboard network card, I have some USB network dongles here somewhere that can be used on linux (well have been in the past).

Is there a uPNP client available for the GP2X.

TIA for any responses.

(Actually if not a uPNP client, then maybe just a working smbclient/smbmount and a way to browse the mountpoint.)

The Gp2x F100 had a SMB client and server, and you can connect to a network through the (supplied) USB cable.

The Gp2x F200 hasn't network support with the USB cable. Maybe with the cradle and a serial cable, who knows.

Nobody understand why HG dropped the USB networking in the new Gp2x, so do not ask.

You can compile your own modules for the kernel, as you wish. But you cannot add usbnet support to the F200. It is not a software problem but a hardware limitation: the chip that controls the USB hasn't network support any more. http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Hardware_spec#USB_2.0_Controller

By the way, the file that you link is only for old firmwares to solve problems that may exist connecting to new Linux boxes. New firmwares and windows boxes do not require that module.

So to clarify, I can't plug a USB network dongle (like a D-Link SU-E100) into one of the USB ports on the dock?

(dongle I chose is one I have spare and has kernel support).

Thanks for your help.

The ports in the cradle are USB Host ports and they are completely different from the USB Slave port on the Gp2x (these are the ones that do not support usbnet in F200 hardware)

So to clarify: I do not know if D-Link DU-E100 is supported with the cradle. Chances are pretty high that if not, it would be "just" a problem of lack of drivers (software limitation)

Back