Network Shares

Bosbeetle said:
I cant seem to get it to work :(

some more details I am trying to mount a freecom network drive I have the same drive hooked up to windows. It does say it has a samba server. Whenever I try to mount it to my pandora I either get ip cannot be resolved (if I use the host name) or I get stuck so I have to crl-c

:( does somebody have an idea

btw is there a way i can check the details windows used for the mount in that way i might be able to find the correct parameters

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm well I could never mount my shares by host name. Have you tried mounting by ip address?

ie mount -t cifs [//192.168.0.x/ShareName] [/mountpoint]

(ingonring the []s and replacing the details inside with the correct details for your situation.

yes I tried that and than I just get stuck.

it ask for a the password and then does nothing, btw I assume its my pandora password it needs

ill see if windows can also do it by ip adrs i might have the wrong ip adress

ah windows also hangs then, now to find out which ip is coupled to \\<name> its not the static ip I put in my freecom setup apperantly.

or I learn to read now I got the correct number 192.168.2.100 and not 0 :p

now it asked for a password 2 times? and it gives

mount error(5): input/ouput error
refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page

if I look here people mention

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/cifs-mount-error-5-%3D-input-output-error-but-smbfs-works-456897/

"oh this is old now, I can't remember what is was, but I think it may have been caused by some older samba servers (2.x series) that didn't support the newer cifs protocol...

The error message could have been a bit more helpful I have to say...
"

hmm maybe I should update the firmware on my network drive but I rather not. My firmware is " NAS-BASIC47, LOADER 69" I cant find anywhere what samba server is on that?

hmm dont know if I have much advice to help you. I can't check right now because I don't have my Pandora (2 days now, getting thee shakes), but I'm pretty sure that I was always using // and / rather than \\ and \ in my mount commands.

Also are you trying to connect to a hard drive that's directly connected to your router? as opposed to a Windows share? In that case I *think* (and it's just a hunch, mind) that it's a nfs share as opposed to a cifs file share. I could be totally wrong here and this is where I bow out and make way for better educated people to step it!

yes its a hd connected to my router but it indicates it has a samba server. for if I want to try smbfs or nfs should I just do -t nfs or smbfs or should I do the opkg stuff also for these packages?

I think Im getting somewhere :)

hmm smbfs gives unknown file system, and its not nfs, i think im stuck at the error 5

I am being dumb :D my nas also has ftp so tonight I'll try and mount that instead of the samba share. Any tips on mounting an ftp?

does the pandora have

ftpmount or should I use mount are there any additional comments I should add?

how do I put it so I can easily mount my drive all the time I turn on wifi or something with an easy command, i heard alot about this fstab stuff how does that work?

Help me learn :D

Back