Netbook Launcher

HackModford

I thought netbook launcher was going to be one of the guis available.
Is there any way to install it? I'd much rather have that than minimenu or xcfe2 (or whatever it's called)

It's already installed, it just won't load (because you need to kill XFCE I think).

Anyone figure out a way to kill XFCE yet? Ed was trying to be helpful, but none of his recommendations worked.

We're using XFCE4 btw.

And now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

HackModford said:
Where did you find it?

In /usr/bin/startnetbooklauncher (something like that)

There's another folder somewhere with the data files - same for Pmenu (which works, but crashes when you switch tab).

Last edited by a moderator:
It couldn't execute because it doesn't know the command netbook-launcher-efl

I tried typing that in and it didn't know what that was... I think that's the problem. That file is just a script. not netbook launcher. I'm gonna try to opkg netbook-launcher-efl

Edit: Yes! It's downloading

Edit: Ughhh couldn't install... it suggested opkg update so I'm doing that then try to reinstall... so far looks alot better... downloading more things

You can add Netbook launcher to the "Switch Gui" menu

*** Untested ***
Code:
sudo mousepad /etc/pandora/conf/gui.conf
add the line:
Code:
Netbook;Ubuntu Netbook Launcher;startnetbooklauncher;startnetbooklauncher --logout

save and exit.

Menu->System->Switch Gui

@hackmodford don't install netbook-launcher-efl it will pooch your os.

Well... I just installed it and can't get to my desktop now :( When I reboot all I get is the mouse. What should I do reflash?

mindlord said:
You can add Netbook launcher to the "Switch Gui" menu

*** Untested ***
Code:
sudo mousepad /etc/pandora/conf/gui.conf
add the line:
Code:
Netbook;Ubuntu Netbook Launcher;startnetbooklauncher;startnetbooklauncher --logout

save and exit.

Menu->System->Switch Gui

@HackModford don't install netbook-launcher-efl it will pooch your os.

Doesn't work. Just resets XFCE. It won't load until you kill XFCE (how?).

It's because the netbook launcher isn't installed (That's what I think) but don't do what I did :p

Edit: I'm reflashing... I'm gonna have to do all my cool gui stuff again though :(

Someone should post instructions how to clone the OS to SD. That way you always have a fallback option when you mess something up. It's common practice in the Maemo community.

mali said:
Someone should post instructions how to clone the OS to SD. That way you always have a fallback option when you mess something up. It's common practice in the Maemo community.

Once I get it working, I'll post a guide. My last attempt involved using an ext2 driver from windows and 7zip. I ran out of space on the SD, weirdly (it was 512mb too, so it should have fitted).

^ Good to know you are working on it :)

edit:
Maybe this can help. I don't know which is the best solution since I did my cloning via premade deb.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29135

That would be nice... I'd get it all themed setup with my account and flash it... or whatever.

In any case I've reflashed have my themes back still don't know how to screencapture to show you. and am ready to keep trying to get netbook-launcher to work!

HackModford said:
That would be nice... I'd get it all themed setup with my account and flash it... or whatever.

In any case I've reflashed have my themes back still don't know how to screencapture to show you. and am ready to keep trying to get netbook-launcher to work!

Check the link in my signature to get screenshots working.

Back