Neo Geo Questions. My First Time To It

renejr902

Website
Visit site
I play a lot of veido games since 1985, and i never played any Neo Geo games. Im curious to try somes games with neo geo wiz emulators. I have 2 questions.

1. ( i read some history of neo geo ) But why didnt i heard anything about theses consoles when i was playing with snes and genesis in 90 years ?
Why the console 650$ and games 200$ WERE SO EXPENSIVE ? ( i read that somewhere) ? Is it really better graphics than snes and genesis

2. Which is the best Neo Geo , Neo Geo Cd and Neo Geo pocket games ?

thanks for answer

renejr902 said:
I play a lot of veido games since 1985, and i never played any Neo Geo games. Im curious to try somes games with neo geo wiz emulators. I have 2 questions.

1. ( i read some history of neo geo ) But why didnt i heard anything about theses consoles when i was playing with snes and genesis in 90 years ?
Why the console 650$ and games 200$ WERE SO EXPENSIVE ? ( i read that somewhere) ? Is it really better graphics than snes and genesis

2. Which is the best Neo Geo , Neo Geo Cd and Neo Geo pocket games ?

thanks for answer

1. I'm not very sure but I think it's because the neogeo was like an arcade machine more or less and for the capacity of its cartidrages (up to 330mb? I'm not very sure), the graphics and animations were astounding, specially in fighting games, in my honest opinion they're better than snes and genesis.

2. I don't know if these are the bests games, but they're my favourites :)
NeoGeo
  • Aero Fighters 1 & 2
  • Garou Mark of the Wolves
  • The Last Blade 1&2
  • Metal Slug 1,2,3,4,5 & X
  • Neo Bomberman
  • Shock Troopers 1&2

I can't say nothing about neogeocd and neogeo pocket because I didn't use them much.

P.D: sorry for my hideous English

Last edited by a moderator:
The neo geo was a very high-end machine offering arcade perfect versions of arcade games. They were, and still are, very expensive because of all the memory used.
Neogeo games were lowered in price because of the NeoGeoCD that came out, this way the huge games could be produced a lot cheaper.

There's a good deal of shooters (shmups) very much worth checking out if you like the genre, like Blazing Star and the like.

It was 330mb (notice lower mb) so the carts were only 4MB, not very much really. Certainly not enough to be able to hold any 3D games when those started becoming popular.

I played neogeo games a lot back in the 90's but always in arcades. I don't think I've ever seen an actual console of them. But the games were wonderful and typically quite cheap at 20c or so (local currency back then). Some good ones are pulstar (and the sequel, star something also), samurai showdown, METAL SLUG (!! obvious, but I've spent a ton of money on playing these). Give the bubble bobble style games a try as well, there's nightmare in the dark and zupapa.

Yeah, as everyone mentioned, the home version were arcade perfect because they were the same hardware, I recommend doing a quick search to see what an actual Neo-Geo cartridge looks like, they are so huge because it's all the actual arcade circuitry in there. Why you never heard of them back in the day I don't know, I never knew anybody that owned their own but there was at least one neo-geo cabinet in every arcade I went to.

Anyways... In regards to my favorite Neo-Geo games. They are as follows in no particular order.

WindJammers (Pong like multiplayer game)
Metal Slug (Contra like run and gun game)
Pulstar (R-Type like shmup)
Waku Waku 7 (Street Fighter like game)
Magical Drop III (Puzzle Bobble like game)

Enverex said:
It was 330mb (notice lower mb) so the carts were only 4MB, not very much really. Certainly not enough to be able to hold any 3D games when those started becoming popular.

330Mb (only the b is lower case to denote bits instead of bytes) is actually over 40MB and some of the later games were bigger still.
The game system isn't just a console, it's an arcade system and a home system that run the same software. So, say you liked Samarai Shodown II in the arcade, when you bought the home version for the NEOGEO, you were actually getting the arcade version in your house (not just a port). It had enormous sprites, excellent scaling, 4096 colors available, dedicated voice channels and plenty of ram (compared to other home systems). Unfortunately, most games were deliberately made bigger and had no or little compression. The cartridges were HUGE (the size of a hardback book) with multiple boards in the cart (as well as multiple connectors). It's graphics and sound were much better than any other home console at the time though. The only thing that kept it alive was the unique arcade system they created where a single machine could have several games in it and the popularity of fighting and shooting games in the arcades at the time. Aero fighters, Samarai Shodown II, Fatal Fury Special, Bowling and the KOF series are good places to start.

Chris

EDIT: I don't know how I could have forgotten the metal slug series of games. Probably the best games the system has to offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own 2 japanese neo 29 candy cabs, do a search for them they are gorgious. The neo geo is a one of a kind console, in fact most people don't buy the home carts as they are mostly for rich collectors. Some home carts sell for $3500-15000 USD, which is crazy since they cost about $200-300 when they were first introduced to the market, but thats mostly because they are extremely rare. Most of us neo geo collectors use the MVS arcade equipment and either have an arcade machine in our homes, use a super gun or have consolized an mvs to play in our living rooms. I've had nearly every game available at one time or another. One thing that killed the neo geo is the bootlegs were being made and sold for a fraction of the price of the original, so arcade ops could buy these and make money off them without paying the creator of the game. The neo geo is the longest running console of all time making it some 15+ years. In fact as recent as 2008 games for it have been released. It is truely a remarkable unit that was light years ahead of its competition. Remember when you'd play TMNT in the arcade and then pick up the copy for SNES or Genesis and it was not even remotely close to the arcade version? This was not a problem with the neo geo. In fact each game would work in home console and arcade mode and each cart was multi regional and had all the languages built in to the unit. It was also the first console that used a memory card to store data. In fact each arcade machine had a memory card slot and the same memory card card could be used in the home consoles as well. There is an entire cult following at neo-geo.com that buy and sell neo geo games daily as well as talk about the various games on a daily basis. The neo geo is an amazing piece of hardware and back in the 90s was only affordable by the ultra rich. The home console sold for $599-699 and the games were $200-400 for the home versions. The arcade carts used to run about $1000-3000/ea but are now available for about $10-200 depending on the rarity of the game. Also bootlegs of the arcade carts are rampant, so you have to be careful when buying them. Anyhow head over to neo-geo.com to do some research, but imo its the best gaming system of all time, in fact theres not even a close second place ;)

thanks a lot for answers. i will try some games. i know theres a lot of fighting games. But does it have platform games ?

Its seem to have more fighting games than anything else. A lot of action games too.

i cant get roms to work !

NEO GEO: this emulator asked about a .CF file ??? what is that ???? lol i tried to load magical drop 3. i run it without magdrop3.cf and it said: unknow or unsupported format romset. Check it and your romrc

Back