Need Help

fluffyhamster

I'm building a computer for a friend of mine. I have experience doing so and this is the first problem i've had on a build. The first time i got everything assembled and booted it up, there was no video signal, so I figured 3-ish options. Bad Graphics, ram, or CPU. Much later, with my computer i swap everything in and out in a trial and error sort of thing. I came to the conclusion that the ram worked, and so did the graphics. One thing was left, the CPU, which i didn't want to swap in and out of computer cause that is just a pain. So I told my friend to get a replacement and 2 weeks later I'm here. Same problem, with two more possible solutions. Motherboard, or psu. I'm figuring PSU because HDD and the disk drive aren't spinning. I've tried unplugging the lights, Disk Drive, fans, and hdd to try to allocate more power to the Motherboard with no success. So I'm figuring it's either mobo, or psu. Suggestions much appreciated.

I would try another PSU in the first place. The power cords (at least usually) goes straight to the HDD(s) and they should be spinning anyway.

If you want to test if the power supply will power on. Unplug the main connector, have the face with the clip on facing you, bridge the fourth wire from the right with any ground wire, this normally works as green and black, but can be different. If it works right, the power supply will start up, you'll know from its fan whirring, or anything you hook up powering on. Good luck!

Back