Need Help With Setting Up Development Environment

D'Olieman

Still Fresh
Website
eepeetwee.blogspot.com
Hi,

I really want to program for the GP2X, and I have experience in C++, so I want to try it out. But how do I setup an compiler to compile for the GP2X?

Thanks in advance,

Thanks you, I fiound that one on Google too and tried the script, it turned out withg an eroor, can't remember what kind of error, I'll try again.

Thanks for your reply.

I suggest this option:
1. The Gamepark Holdings Software Developer's Kit available from Gamepark at http://dev.gp2x.com/sdk/gp2xsdk_windows.zip

This kit includes the Bloodshed devC++ integrated development environment, GCC versions for both gp2x native and MS-Windows native executables, and copies of the Linux version 2.4.25 libraries. It will compile gp2x native code for executables using shared libraries in addition to the static library form.
As it's extracting and running. Easy to setup. Enables easy windows based testing.

For the beginners, that's the easest. I still use it, as it does everything it needs to do for me.

I used to muck around with the linux sdk, before the official ones and got some basic stuff working.

Just came back to it and am trying to get the Windows one working without luck.

I can compile the gpe fine it seems but when running the app on the GP2X all I get is a black screen. What noob thing am I doing that is stopping it working?

(I'm talking default SDK set up, without any real alterations)

It's well worth setting up the USB networking, and logging into the GP2X to run your programs - that way you get to see any errors they generate, and you can see if they exit or hang. Search for "Tcp/ip" on the wiki.

You can also run them through gdbserver and debug them. Search for "Gdb" on the Wiki for more information. Just running your program through the telnet session is a great help though, even if you don't bother with gdb, as you'll see any dynamic linking errors and you can add your own printfs to trace program flow.

Generally speaking, it's often necessary to link statically, as the libraries for your toolchain might not match those on the GP2X itself. However, if you're using an official SDK I would have thought they'd match, so this should be unnecessary. I don't know much about the official SDK though, I use open2x.

Back