Need Help With Open2x Toolchain On Freebsd

Ravnos

Asleep in Samsara
Website
Visit site
Ok, so I finally got off my ass and decided to compile the Open2X toolchain on my laptop. It's not working, however. It chokes on glibc. The last lines of output are below:

Code:
make -r PARALLELMFLAGS="" CVSOPTS="" -C .. objdir=`pwd` install-headers
"Makefile", line 22: Missing dependency operator
"Makefile", line 23: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 24: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 22: Missing dependency operator
"Makeconfig", line 23: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 24: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 28: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 32: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 34: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 38: Missing dependency operator
"Makeconfig", line 41: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 42: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 43: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 45: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 46: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 47: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 53: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 54: Missing dependency operator
"Makeconfig", line 56: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 58: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 59: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 63: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 67: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 69: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 72: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 76: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 77: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 84: Could not find sysdeps/../config.make
"Makeconfig", line 94: Missing dependency operator
"Makeconfig", line 96: Need an operator
"Makeconfig", line 99: Need an operator
Error expanding embedded variable.
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/home/ravnos/GP2X/open2x/glibc-2.3.5/build-open2x-stage1.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/ravnos/GP2X/open2x.

I tried to run ./glibc-2.3.5/configure, but that failed. I got this:
Code:
checking build system type... i386-unknown-freebsd6.2
checking host system type... i386-unknown-freebsd6.2
*** The GNU C library is currently not available for this platform.
*** So far nobody cared to port it and if there is no volunteer it
*** might never happen.  So, if you have interest to see glibc on
*** this platform visit
***	 http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/porting.html
*** and join the group of porters

So I'm wondering if there's a workaround. Any suggestions? (OS is FreeBSD-6.2-PRERELEASE)

try with gmake (gnu make) if your on freebsd instead of make (bsd make).

if glibc is a dependancy you might just be SOL with this linux specific package...

the redhat linux compat library might be able to work.

I tried gmake, and I have the fc4 compatibility package installed. I'm wondering if there's a way to trick it into thinking this is a linux machine, but I'm doubtful.

The only Linux machine I have is an AMD64 machine running Gentoo AMD64. I might be able to cross-compile, but I've never done it for i386 and I'm having trouble finding decent info for a AMD64->i386 cross compile (most of the info appears to go the other way.) :( I suppose I could set up a chroot environment and do it in there, but that's a bit of a pain in the ass. I'm also hesitant to build on Linux because ooPo did that once for some of us but I had a problem with a few of the libs looking for his home directory on my machine. (ie: "could not find /home/oopo/gp2xdev/.....") and I was hoping to avoid that.

I was actually considering installing VMWare + a Linux guest and doing it in there on my lappy, but then I found out that the Linux version of VMWare 5.x doesn't install on FreeBSD. :( I can't catch a break, I tells ya.

yes, but those static dir names are just because of the --prefix, and sed can fix that for you very easily. but you can also simply build in a chroot, and create whatever "fake" path you may wish, to have it corrospond to your freebsd directory where you plan on copying it to.

VMWare not running on BSD is one of the primary reasons I am using Linux right now instead of BSD. I run BSD and windows as VMWare guests on my linux system, and I enjoy it very much.

Hmm... I suppose you could run an ARM-"native" linux in qemu and compile the toolchain there, probably would be slow and might not work though.

I think I may have found a solution, I'm testing it right now so I'll let you know how it goes. Starting on line 1897 of the glibc configure script, there's a comment that mentions an undocumented "--enable-hacker-mode" option. I used that and running the configure script worked fine. I'm running "make" right now so we'll see if that fixed it. :)

Edit: I just wanted to add that the --enable-hacker-mode option disables the check for supported platforms. It's apparently undocumented because the glibc guys don't want people to use it and then email them about why it's not working on an unsupported platform.

Ok, that didn't fix it. The sticking point seems to be the "Error expanding embedded variable", which I probably should have clued in on. Of course, I'm not sure where that variable is, since the last few lines are "Need an operator", and line 99 is just an endif, for example.

Back