Need Help Testing My New Game

Mookmac

Still Fresh
Website
www.mookie.the-buccaneer.co.uk
hey everybody, I'm in the middle of putting togeather a game to enter in the glbasic competition and was hoping some of you would give me some feedback.

9Lives.rar

Some Screens from the game:
title.gif

The Title Screen
lvl1.gif

Level 1
lvl2.gif

Level 2

All you need to do is download 9lives.rar and then extract and copy to your SD.

The game occasionally uses the B button to navigate through menus but i haven't listed that anywhere in game so i thought i mention it here.

The readme file should give you all the instructions you need to play.

Any feedback is good, if you can suggest any more ideas to add in that'd be cool. I'm already thinking of doing some new graphics at some point. I also haven't got around to adding any sound yet. If you want to contribute to this project that'd also be cool.

As i haven't paid for the full version of glbasic sdk theres a five minute limit on play time and a watermark in the top left hand corner.

I already know about the bug on level 3 with it giving too many lives, this is something i'll try and sort out at some point. remember this game is still very much a WIP!

xcen said:
downloaded, will post back in a while
cheers, at last someone is trying my game. I do have an updated build ready with 2 new levels and a level select. I would release it but theres a few bugs on the third level and i dont want to release the whole game before i enter it into the competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried it last night and it looked like an interesting puzzle game concept. I would suggest that you need to make the first levels a lot easier so that it is almost impossible not to finish them. This way, they act as sort of tutorials to explain how the game plays. Instructions and readme files are all very well but they are a bit dull and take away the immediacy of playing a new game. I still have not got past the first stage but i think I understand what I am doing.

Another suggestion I have is to also use the ABXY buttons for movement. The early GP2x's have a terrible diagonal bias so that on games where the distinction between up and left (for example) is crucial, you will sometimes going the wrong way (e.g. you mean to press up, but the GP2x interprets it as an up-left diagonal and the sprite moves left).

Mookmac said:
cheers, at last someone is trying my game.
I've noticed that very few will go to the trouble of downloading and trying the complete unknown but if you post a few screenshots and it looks decent people are much, much more receptive and even eager.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it. Good luck in the competition.

Could you make it so that after you enter a code it takes you straight to the level ? I thought it had not worked the first time because I found myself having to select 'new game' which suggests a 'start over'. Does that make sense ?

i'm looking forward to more levels.

Thanks to everyone who is replying. I've taken your comments onboard and added some screenshots to my original post. I've also updated the game so when you've entered a level code the "new game" changes to "continue game". I've also added in controls which are mapped to the face buttons for those people with older GP2X's. I've also changed the 1st level very slightly. There is no longer a hidden 4 spot under one of the blocks which should help a fair bit in making the first level easier. I am now planning to add in some super easy levels to ease new players into the game, although those wont be ready tonight.

Back