Need F100 Joystick Tester For Warehouse Panic

u9i

Call me Uni
Website
riotdigital.com
Hi

I am (hopefully) done adding joystick support to Warehouse Panic, and i need some people to test it out on the f100 (and maybe also f200) and give some feedback on how well the joystick works. Please send me a PM if you have an f100 and would like to help out, and i will send you a link. I dont want to make the game public until the joystick is confirmed.

Thanks
Uni

Did you find anyone suitable?

I still have an original F-100 around if you really need someone to test something for you, but I'd have to dig it out first.

sbock offered to help. But everyone is still welcome to "sign up." It can also help to know how it is to play using the joystick (or dpad). You don't have to go through all the trouble of digging it your old F100, but thanks for the offer :)

/Uni

The joystick works very well with F-100 and Open2x DR7. The only problem is the high-score entry screen. As there is no touchscreen in the F-100 it seems not to work.
Also tested a little bit with F-200 and original firmware and found no problems yet.
Nice, originally and addictive game-play BTW. Have missed this game on the Wiz. No time to write anymore, must challenge level 3... :)

Hi sbock,

Thanks for trying it out. There were no issues with the diagonals at all? It felt right and good? :)

The problem with the highscore might be that i am missing the "highlight" graphics for the keys. For now, press down and then right a few times to get to enter, and you should be able to get out of the highscore list. I'll fix the download link tonight when i get home.

/Uni

ok here my impression.

Very nice game ..a little hard played with buttons but with touch is very well done.

Diagonal works ok (on my F200 GPH firm 4.1.1) menu is ok and vol button works nicely.
Played with touch is a pleasure ..i like very much (for a F200 with gph firm you should install the notaz patch before starting the game )

if not touch is used i can confirm the bug with the hiscore ..inserting the name is possible but the cursor is not visible (or is not visible the letter on the virtual key where the cursor is )
also it's impossible to exit the hiscore list (i must power off the console ) maybe you could implement a button to exit the list..

You need to get the invisible selector down to the return key. It is to the far right of the keyboard. I'll fix it tonight though :$

Anyways, thank you for testing. Is there any way i can improve the playability with dpad? As i mentioned, i was thinking about rotating the input 45 degrees so that up on the dpad was actually up-and-left. When i played it on the wiz it felt a little... wrong, especially on the later levels.

/Uni

Ok, I played it for about 45 minutes now and havn't noticed any real problems with using the d-pad. The difficulty level is of course higher than using the touch screen but you get used to it fairly quickly. But, at the same time you don't want a game that's too easy so I think I prefer it a little over touch. Good call on making up on the controller left/up. Less of a chance of hitting the wrong button if you're not actually looking at your fingers. The one bug I noticed was the game frose for a split-second on the first level but that could also be a hardware thing I suppose. Other than that it seemed fine, highscore screen works fine now.

Yeah, I noticed no problems using the F-100 joystick but indeed with level 3 the difficulty is very high.
High-score entry now works like a charm. Well done...

Orion, i've noticed that glitch myself. To be honest, i have no idea what it could be. It seems to be at random. Maybe when the music wraps around the first time or something (btw, i have new music in the works in case that short loop is annoying) :)

I haven't made up to be left/up yet. That is just something i am thinking about. As you might have noticed, if you press up, the closest switch will be selected. Also, if it is positioned diagonally.

sbock, yeah, i hear the difficulty curve is extremely sharp. I will make some more levels so the curve becomes softer, and at the same time i will make a level selector so you don't have to replay the easy ones once you get the hang of it.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys. I will wrap it up and update the archive. Next on the agenda: level selector, levels, bonuses and of course a color-blind option.

/Uni

Sorry for late replay...
New beta version is good and work ok if you have an F100 i think ..

I have found a bug if on menu select hiscore list , and when the list is on screen i touch the screen the game correctly return on main menu
but the voice on menu is no more selectable...the only button working is volume and Start (Home on F200 ) who quit the game but after the credits is impossible to quit no button works
and no touch work.
Maybe this bug is related to an F200 (gph firm ) without the Notaz patch is an hybrid F100 with a touch half working.
Infact with touch screen active the game working good with no probs. :D

Feel free to submit to the archive and good work with the new levels etc etc.

Hi Farox,

Thanks for the feedback. I have an F200, so i will see if i can recreate the error.

I forgot to ask earlier, what patch from notaz are you talking about? I am a little gullible when it comes to the technical things. What does the patch do?

/Uni

The Notaz patch is a touchscreen driver patch that correctly set up the touch on GPH firm 4.0.2 and above.
this is the readme directly from Notaz:

F200 touchscreen hack r1
(c) notaz, 2008

Disclaimer
----------

This software "hacks" the Linux kernel and mangles internal structures in a way
they weren't meant to, so it may easily crash you GP2X. But it doesn't write
anything to flash, so bricking should not occur, and everything should work
fine after power cycling the GP2X.
However, I cannot be held responsible if this software somehow manages to kill
your GP2X. It will be YOUR fault, because YOU ran it. By running this software
you agree with terms above.

About
-----

This is a hack for F200 firmwares 4.0.2 and above, which should hack
touchscreen driver to work the same way as it does in 4.0.0 firmware. This
means that later firmware users should be able to use homebrew written for
Please note that while the hack is active, the default GP2X menu won't work
properly. You have to remove the hack for it to work again (see below).

Easy install/remove
-------------------

Just run (on the GP2X) install_hack.gpu/remove_hack.gpu to install/remove
the hack.

Advanced install/remove
-----------------------

You can copy wm97xx_hack.o to the game directory and add insmod/rmmod commands
into the game scripts. For example, for "Space Varments", open up
space_varments.gpe with a text editor and you should see something like this:
=== cut ===
#!/bin/sh
cd runtime
./fxi ../data/space_varments.dcb -nosplash
cd /usr/gp2x
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
=== cut ===

Change it to this:
=== cut ===
#!/bin/sh
rmmod wm97xx_hack # remove in case already loaded
insmod wm97xx_hack.o
cd runtime
./fxi ../data/space_varments.dcb -nosplash
rmmod wm97xx_hack
cd /usr/gp2x
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
=== cut ===

This way "Space Varments" will run with the hack enabled, but the hack will
be automatically removed when you return to menu.

If you have lnstalled Open2x firmware you don't need it.

If you need it let me know as i don't be able to find on archive... :unsure:

Farox said:
If you need it let me know as i don't be able to find on archive... :unsure:
Is this the one? http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,2627
Cheers, Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't find it on the archive either. Could you mail it to me? I'll PM my email.

Farox, can you recreate the bug? I cannot get it on my F200, but that is probably because i have firmware 4.0.x. I remember i didn't want to upgrade because it messed up the touch screen. So it could well be that problem, although the buttons should always work.

/Uni

Edit: Ninja'd.. Thanks Neil.

Is this ...thanks Neil for found it .... ;)

@U9i ...it's not very important as on F200 is better to use the stylus to play...for me you could submit on archive.
And if possible make a version for Iphone and Android ... ;) the game is hard after the second level but is very nice
and gameplay perfect for touch devices .

Back