Nds R4 Usage

Josquius

Website
www.josquius.tsx.org
Largely on advice here I bought this and its working...OK.
A lot of homebrew seems to be working but a lot isn't. I think this is a case by case thing to handle it though which is a bitch.
However for GBA stuff- I can run nothing.
Does anyone know: how do you run GBA things on a R4?

Josquius said:
Largely on advice here I bought this and its working...OK.
A lot of homebrew seems to be working but a lot isn't. I think this is a case by case thing to handle it though which is a bitch.
However for GBA stuff- I can run nothing.
Does anyone know: how do you run GBA things on a R4?
You need to buy the EZ expansion pack from dealextreme.com to play these games. I know for sure you can use it for the web browser, but I'm not sure if you can run games using an R4 from the expansion pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you have the latest firmware installed (v1.11), along with the latest copies of the homebrew you are trying. Also, make sure you read the instructions for installing the homebrew. Homebrew for the DS that uses more than just one file is often extremely picky about where particular files are located on the SD card.

To run GBA games you will need something like the EZ-flash 3 in 1 (as omars mentioned). You can use this in one of two ways:
Copy individual roms onto the SD card located in the R4 and then load them using the 3in1 Expansion Pack Tool. You also use this program to change the EZ-flash into Expansion RAM mode or for enabling the rumble function. This is the method I use.

Alternatively you can convert GBA roms into .NDS files on your PC using NDStation. You can then copy these to the SD card as normal DS roms and launch them directly from the R4 menu. When you load the rom they will copy themselves to the EZ-flash and launch.

hmm so you need even more hardware to do it. I don't think I'm bothered enough about GBA stuff to do that- all the decent GBA homebrew is also available on the NDS except better, it'd just be for commercial roms I'd see needing that which is well...naughty.

Will check the firmware tonight, now that I think I did just use the files off the CD...

Back