Nasty people on here!!!

sgbfree

Still Fresh
Why is it that console discussion boards like this attract so many know-it-alls and nasty posters???

These posters are obviously in the minority but I think that they leave a geekish atmosphere about the place. Lot's of 'too-honest' comments on that Blue-Dyed GP32 thread, for example.....

On a positive note, this is a great board (the best GP32 one by far!!).

If you're NICE leave your name underneath...............
|
|
|
|
|
V

I'm guessing you picked up this vibe from one of my posts in the 'Thank you rlyeh' post? I'm not making excuses here (not that I'm intimidated by this thread anyway) but I was just destroying what looked like nastiness in sheeps clothing, people hinting for free info or demo's by bombarding with unnessacary kindness.

I read that rlyeh post a couple of times and actually agree with you on it.. although yeah, I thought it was nasty at first...!!! :)

The kind of posts I think are nasty are where, for example, someone posts a link to their new emualtor and gets post after post of criticisms like -it's still too slow or it's still doesn't run... etc etc

It's all constructive though.
Its better a coder hears stuff like "I get a crash when.....so it sucks"
Rather than " I love you man that bug may be annoying but you're so cool etc."
As in the latter there is nothing informative, and Ok, it must be nice to here a bit of praise but it must be annoying to get too much.

I've currently got a website up and I spend every free minute of my time loading stuff into my scanner. I announced this in the off topic discussion thread and I got no reply's but I didn't expect any, I'm not bothered.....the GP32 scene is all take take with little thanks and I guess it's something we have to get used to as I can't see it changing.

Twimfy posted on Jul 22 2003 said:
It's all constructive though.
Its better a coder hears stuff like "I get a crash when.....so it sucks"
Rather than " I love you man that bug may be annoying but you're so cool etc."
As in the latter there is nothing informative, and Ok, it must be nice to here a bit of praise but it must be annoying to get too much.

I've currently got a website up and I spend every free minute of my time loading stuff into my scanner. I announced this in the off topic discussion thread and I got no reply's but I didn't expect any, I'm not bothered.....the GP32 scene is all take take with little thanks and I guess it's something we have to get used to as I can't see it changing.
Huh? Im confused, one second u said that people gettin praised all the time is annoying then ur sayin that its all take take take and u should get used to little praise. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I think I've confused myself.

Ok....who cares, all I should've have said is some people in the GP32 scene just want want want and whatever praise or critisicsm(without constructive undertones) tends to surface from them is usually in aid of getting soemthing else.

This will never change.

Basically there isn't a balance...

Ok I'm still confused.

hmm... i just wanted to show rlyeh that i respect him for what he has done, he has put in considerable effort and time into making emu's and improving the scene for all of us. i WAS NOT trying to get any private beta's or priviliges, i deserve access to them no more than anyone else. where i come from it is considered manners to thank someone if they have given you something. If i dont offer thanks for what he has done what else am i meant to do?? tell him his work is buggy and he should be better?? tell him to give up his live to make emus?? What has this world come to when you say thank you without getting flamed??
/end of rant

"geekish atmosphere" --> ha ha it's a GP32!! it's pretty much as geekish as you can get really (like rilly) .. but that's cool

The main reason I got a gp32 was to prove how much of a geek I am :D

Don't forget what it says in the Bible - 'and the Geeks shall inherit the Earth'.
Or something like that ;)

Im a nerd, so what i dont care...at least i think im a nerd...whatever.
I just post how i feel at the moment, even if what i post is rude. I dont do it on purpose, its just how i am.

midget posted on Jul 22 2003 said:
hmm... i just wanted to show rlyeh that i respect him for what he has done, he has put in considerable effort and time into making emu's and improving the scene for all of us. i WAS NOT trying to get any private beta's or priviliges, i deserve access to them no more than anyone else. where i come from it is considered manners to thank someone if they have given you something. If i dont offer thanks for what he has done what else am i meant to do?? tell him his work is buggy and he should be better?? tell him to give up his live to make emus?? What has this world come to when you say thank you without getting flamed??
/end of rant
Apologies, but I have to admit, it did look that way. I thought yoyo's little john emulator was good as did alot of people but nobody dedicated an entire thread to just him and not the emulator, it seems as though ZJ is being built as a celebrity and the only reason I can thing of why is,is because he's holding back info whereas others are not. Therefore it is only natural to presume that when someone makes a thread about someone whose work is equal to many other programmers, they want something.

I don't think I'm making sense here and I didn't mean to offend anyone, just it seems unfair to give one person so much credit and ignore others, especially when those others harbour equal and in places better talent.

Mofokubik posted on Jul 22 2003 said:
Im a nerd, so what i dont care...at least i think im a nerd...whatever.
I just post how i feel at the moment, even if what i post is rude. I dont do it on purpose, its just how i am.
Good for you for your no BS attitude. :)
You just tell it like it is... :lol:

I am a kind person - add me to the list...

I think i'm nice :)

See this thread, which addressed this sort of suff, with particular reference to newbies...

OPne thing to bear in mind also is that with over 1000 members, if you post something asking for critisism (constructive or otherwise!) then you'll definitely get it, and some people tend not to hold back on these things...

Hmm begs the question doesn't it, how do you know what a rats arse smells like :D

or is that one stapled to your chin :p

Dozer posted on Jul 22 2003 said:
:angry: Im no geek, its just a good console. I mean, there r sum geeky peeps on ere, but just havin a gp doesnt make u a geek <_<
Come on man, have some GEEK PRIDE!

I'm a geek, a nerd, a dork, whatever.

I'm fat. I live in my mom's basement. I play D&D with the same group of dorks every week since I was in high school. I drive a piece of shit car with a broken stereo, but my PC has 6 fans, an acrylic window, and a neon kit. In 2 weeks, I'm going to an anime convention!

Having a GP32 does not make you a geek. Being so into it that you post to this board at least once a day does :p

Back