Nano Demo By Kakiarts

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
This is the Nano demo by Kakiarts, which won the first wild demo place at evoke2006 party.

25857.jpg

Very nice demo!.

The Kakiarts webpage is here: http://www.kakiarts.de/
And the download is here: http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,38,1951

purple_goat posted on Dec 14 2006 at 12:38 AM said:
what are demos for?
if they arent nfo add ons what are they?
why do we need them? :blink:
They show off what can be done on a system (effects etc.) & they're pretty damn cool to watch too.

PSyMastR posted on Dec 14 2006 at 12:39 AM said:
Nano doesn't run on Firmware 2.1.1
Strange.. worked ok for me?

Pretty rockin Franxis thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i tried running kakiarts 'breakloose' on windows it shows nothing and all it does is chug like a bitch. I can't even close it with my task manager. this is some wack shit.. i tried other programs and nothing works.

purple_goat posted on Dec 14 2006 at 12:38 AM said:
what are demos for?
if they arent nfo add ons what are they?
why do we need them? :blink:
lol.
They are merely programmers having a bit of fun with complicated code?

Wow, cool, great... I think. If I could get it to work it would be cool anyway. How do you run this? It just has a file called "nano" no extention or anything in the archive. I run it and I get a wonderful, fantastically rendered....black screen :(

I am using FW 2.0

DaveC posted on Dec 14 2006 at 05:45 AM said:
Wow at cool at great... I think. If I could get it to work it would be cool anyway. How do you run this? It just has a file called "nano" no extention or anything in the archive. I run it and I get a wonderful, fantastically rendered....black screen :(

I am using FW 2.0
There should be a file called nano.gpe & a data directory DaveC.
They are the only 2 things that I copied to my sdcard & it worked fine :)

Very nice demo indeed, a friend of mine that was in the demo sceen a couple of years ago saw me watching this and was very impressed.
Said he might just get a 2x if the demosceen grows just a little more.

DaveC:
i belive it's a gzipped tarball

Tripmonkey_uk posted on Dec 14 2006 at 09:06 AM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 14 2006 at 05:45 AM said:
Wow at cool at great... I think. If I could get it to work it would be cool anyway. How do you run this? It just has a file called "nano" no extention or anything in the archive. I run it and I get a wonderful, fantastically rendered....black screen :(

I am using FW 2.0
There should be a file called nano.gpe & a data directory DaveC.
They are the only 2 things that I copied to my sdcard & it worked fine :)

I open the archive and there is only 1 file called "nano". No data file, no extension. Must be that windows or the archiver doeas't show everything. Damn linux, what a pain ;)

EDIT: I found a different file on the archive now. It uses zip, and now my comp likes it better.

Cool demo. Maybe the 2X will start to get a demoscene. I remember the Amiga demos being great in the day.

There are still a number of groups out there making Amiga demos at the big scene parties. What they do on the old stuff is just obscene.

Heres one captured into a mpg video file, 200megs but cool from the biggest Amiga group TBL. You have to bear in mind that its designed to run smooth on a 50mhz Motorola 68060 cpu and the graphics chipset is now about 14 years old before you compare it to modern PC graphics running on CPU's 60 times quicker or more!

ftp://ftp.untergrund.net/users/acryd/vide...-starstruck.mpg

This one is from a 64K competition ie the file size is 64Kb or less!

http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=%2Fpart...vi&fileinfo

Their most recent one, again for 50mhz 060 and the old AGA chipset

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4c-cvosz70

Would be nice to see more gp2x ones as they show off the hardware and all that although I guess a snes or playstation emulator is also impressive visually :)

art1080 posted on Dec 14 2006 at 01:52 AM said:
i tried running kakiarts 'breakloose' on windows it shows nothing and all it does is chug like a bitch. I can't even close it with my task manager. this is some wack shit.. i tried other programs and nothing works.

perhaps you want to look at your OS for the weirdness...

mrpig posted on Dec 15 2006 at 12:31 PM said:
There are still a number of groups out there making Amiga demos at the big scene parties. What they do on the old stuff is just obscene.

Heres one captured into a mpg video file, 200megs but cool from the biggest Amiga group TBL. You have to bear in mind that its designed to run smooth on a 50mhz Motorola 68060 cpu and the graphics chipset is now about 14 years old before you compare it to modern PC graphics running on CPU's 60 times quicker or more!

ftp://ftp.untergrund.net/users/acryd/vide...-starstruck.mpg

<snip>
i were at assembly when it was presented, i tell you, that demo is really something, its beyond words, chúrches should be converted to hail TBL.

also, keep in mind that this video is not of the best quality, afaik its a cam recording of the projected image, in any case, running the demo for real is much better :)

Yer it is amazing. How they do that stuff with that hardware is beyond me!! Got rid of my last Amiga a couple of years back but I had them in one form or another from 1990 on, I remember all the classics, desert dreams, state of the art etc :)

Things like that and some of the stuff you get on the xbox which is really slow in modern PC terms shows just how lazy developers get these days constantly forcing you to upgrade if you want to play the latest games etc

mrpig posted on Dec 15 2006 at 04:11 PM said:
Yer it is amazing. How they do that stuff with that hardware is beyond me!! Got rid of my last Amiga a couple of years back but I had them in one form or another from 1990 on, I remember all the classics, desert dreams, state of the art etc :)

Things like that and some of the stuff you get on the xbox which is really slow in modern PC terms shows just how lazy developers get these days constantly forcing you to upgrade if you want to play the latest games etc

I am sure they could do some amazing things with the dual core 200 MHz chips in the GP2X if they wanted. Too bad the GP2X scene wasn't bigger and more popular.

Too bad none of the Amiga emus on the GP2X run at a decent framerate with sound with these demos. That would open up alot.

messiah posted on Dec 15 2006 at 08:19 PM said:
Amiga scene had ruled some time ago... Good old days with my CDTV...

CDTV? Pah, you were a Johnny come lately :p

I had an Amiga since the Amiga 1000. That is really a long time ago.

Back