GP2X N64 Emu For Gp2x?

chris_r posted on Dec 19 2005 at 08:04 AM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 19 2005 at 06:11 AM said:
God Ginrai posted on Dec 18 2005 at 07:04 PM said:
And you, who has never coded a working N64 emu, would definately know more about if its possible than the head dev of an N64 emu project?

What are you talking about? Are you stupid? I don't have to code to know that it isn't possible at a playable speed. Just like I don't have to be a coder to know that it can't emulate an xbox or PS2 either.

Just read the specs, if you still think that it is possible then you are nuts.
*raises hand* I think I'm going to have to agree with DaveC on this one

So wait, you're telling me that you'd believe him over the head dev of an N64 emu project? I'm sorry, but it's just stupid to believe someone who has no experience in the field over a person who works in the field quite often. That'd be like trusting a law student with no medical experience to remove your kidney!

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai posted on Dec 19 2005 at 08:08 PM said:
So wait, you're telling me that you'd believe him over the head dev of an N64 emu project? I'm sorry, but it's just stupid to believe someone who has no experience in the field over a person who works in the field quite often. That'd be like trusting a law student with no medical experience to remove your kidney!

Completely different field of vision you seem to have there. It's not really believing someone who has/has not knowledge in emulation, I'd say it's more likely common sense. DaveC (and others, whether developer or not) can usually guess quite accurately whether or not something is possible given machine specifications, and trying to emulate even a 93.75MHz processor on a 200Mhz processor is impossible at any decent speed, let alone adding the 62Mhz co-processor (which has built in floating point and 3D hardware) on top of that.

If you believe otherwise, then your nuts :)

IMHO, anything 10 fps or above is good for N64 emulation. Now I know they don't seem as well, but it's still a great thing to be able to play it handheld. Besides, there is ALWAYS a way to pull what would seem almost impossible feats off, if there is a good enough coder. I mean, just look at kkrieg, just 96kb! Damn small! http://www.theprodukkt.com/kkrieger.html

i have to agree that we should maybe get a reality check in place considering the system is still just 'weeks' old and has yet to even have a reasonably playable snes emu out.

If GPH had gone down the single 1x400mhz CPU route, then it may have been possible at a semi reasonable speed but since they didnt and taking into account that most devvers are finding it a bitch to program for (so far) you can safely forget about n64 until the next gen handhelds come out.

Well I don't think a reasonably fast N64 emulator is possible either.
BUT just recently a N64 emulator for the Dreamcast managed to reach 12fps without sound, which is quite good given the relativly slow hardware of the DC (in most aspects quite a bit slower than the GP2x actually).

Who knows... but probably not.

I wouldn't call a 128/64 bit hybrid cpu running at 200mhz, plus floating point hardware and a 3d engine capable of 3 million polygons a second slow :)

The hardware FP and 3D will speed up N64 emulation by a substantial amount, so if that emu is using it, expect about 1 - 2 fps on the gp2x, since it has no hardware fp or 3d engine.

God Ginrai posted on Dec 19 2005 at 07:43 PM said:
  Besides, there is ALWAYS a way to pull what would seem almost impossible feats off, if there is a good enough coder. 

No there is not always a way. You have to work within the constraints of physics. You have a limited amount of CPU instructions and those instructions can execute at a set and finite speed. If you can't execute enough instructions to mimic a different chipset in a certain amount of time, then it is impossible to emulate said system in realtime, full stop.

There is no "magic dust" in these things that can pull off a miracle. The better coders, and/or the coders that take the time can just get closer to the limits of the hardware than others, that is all. Once you reach that limit there is nothing that can be done to go further.

But my point is not that you can get full-speed. My point is that you can get playable speed. There is a BIG difference between those two.

God Ginrai posted on Dec 20 2005 at 09:20 AM said:
But my point is not that you can get full-speed. My point is that you can get playable speed. There is a BIG difference between those two.

If by some miricle some developer came out with an emulator that work at 5fps, then people would just call it unplayable, and get bored of it after an hour.

What's the use of performing a miricle, if no one will appriciate it.

DaveC posted on Dec 19 2005 at 10:15 PM said:
There is no "magic dust" in these things that can pull off a miracle. The better coders, and/or the coders that take the time can just get closer to the limits of the hardware than others, that is all. Once you reach that limit there is nothing that can be done to go further.

Actually, I've got some friends who'd dispute that. Although their claim is magic smoke - from the reasoning that no chip that lets out its magic smoke will ever work again, unless you're very lucky and not that much escaped before the silicone goblins repaired the leak.

The process of making the chip is not, according to them, down to squeezing smaller and faster processes into the smallest space, but rather, about compressing the best, most efficient, magic smoke into a chip and getting it stuck there.

I'm not certain I agree with them, but I suppose each to their own lol!

Squidge posted on Dec 19 2005 at 09:18 PM said:
I wouldn't call a 128/64 bit hybrid cpu running at 200mhz, plus floating point hardware and a 3d engine capable of 3 million polygons a second slow :)

The hardware FP and 3D will speed up N64 emulation by a substantial amount, so if that emu is using it, expect about 1 - 2 fps on the gp2x, since it has no hardware fp or 3d engine.

Yeah you are probably right, the Dreamcast isn't really better for emulation of 2d systems, but for 3d systems like the n64 it is probably much better suited than the GP2X.

Back