GP2X N64 Emu For Gp2x?

Lettuce Dude

Hogarth the hairy Hippo.
Website
Visit site
I have been wondering if n64 emulation is possible on the 2x and if anybody is working on it. Thanks for any info in advance.

*hints* I know that the source code for 1964 is avalible at zophars domain if anybody is interested.

DaveC posted on Dec 18 2005 at 01:24 PM said:
No, No :rolleyes:

Don't listen to this guy, he feeds off of sorrow. ;P

Squidge posted on Dec 18 2005 at 01:26 PM said:
Yes, N64 emulation is possible. But it'll be so slow it'll be unusable, so why bother?

He's right that it's possible, but wrong that you shouldn't bother. You should always try to get what you want to work, but if you want it, and no one else is doing it, you'll have to take it on yourself.

A user on these forums had an email convo with the Mupen64 dev, and that dev said it should be possible, and at playable speeds for some games, but EXTREMELY hard. So don't get your hopes up, but don't let them die either.

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai posted on Dec 18 2005 at 06:41 PM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 18 2005 at 01:24 PM said:
No, No  :rolleyes:

Don't listen to this guy, he feeds off of sorrow. ;P

Squidge posted on Dec 18 2005 at 01:26 PM said:
Yes, N64 emulation is possible. But it'll be so slow it'll be unusable, so why bother?

He's right that it's possible, but wrong that you shouldn't bother. You should always try to get what you want to work, but if you want it, and no one else is doing it, you'll have to take it on yourself.

A user on these forums had an email convo with the Mupen64 dev, and that dev said it should be possible, and at playable speeds for some games, but EXTREMELY hard. So don't get your hopes up, but don't let them die either.

Go read the specs for the N64 and then GP2X. If you posess any sort of average intelligence you will realize that it is NOT possible at playable speeds.

And you, who has never coded a working N64 emu, would definately know more about if its possible than the head dev of an N64 emu project?

The Specs:

N64

CPU: 64-bit R4300i RISC (93.75MHz) / 64-bit data paths, registers with 5-stage pipelining
Co-processor: 64-bit RISC (62.5MHz)
RAM: 4MB (36Mb) upgradeable
Graphics: Pixel Drawing Processor (RDP) built into co-processor
Colors: 16.7 million (32,000 on screen)
Polygons: 150,000 per second
Resolution: 640x480 pixels
Sound: 16 to 24-channel 16-bit stereo (up to 100 PCM channels possible)

GP2X

CPUs Dual-core: ARM920T (host 200 MHz) + ARM940T (200 MHz) - Overclockable by software
Chipset: MMSP2
NAND Flash ROM: 64 MB
RAM: SDRAM 64 MB
Operating System: Linux based OS
Storage: SD Card (SDIO support probable in future)
Connection: USB 2.0 High Speed
Power: 2 x AA battery
Display: 3.5 in 320×240 TFT LCD
TV out: yes (with optional cable)
AC power: 3.3 V

These were just pulled of websites. Well, what exactly do they mean? Is there anything else I need to know? How damaging is overclocking the GP2X?

rossimo posted on Dec 19 2005 at 09:26 AM said:
The Specs:

N64

CPU: 64-bit R4300i RISC (93.75MHz) / 64-bit data paths, registers with 5-stage pipelining
Co-processor: 64-bit RISC (62.5MHz)
RAM: 4MB (36Mb) upgradeable
Graphics: Pixel Drawing Processor (RDP) built into co-processor
Colors: 16.7 million (32,000 on screen)
Polygons: 150,000 per second
Resolution: 640x480 pixels
Sound: 16 to 24-channel 16-bit stereo (up to 100 PCM channels possible)

GP2X

CPUs Dual-core: ARM920T (host 200 MHz) + ARM940T (200 MHz) - Overclockable by software
Chipset: MMSP2
NAND Flash ROM: 64 MB
RAM: SDRAM 64 MB
Operating System: Linux based OS
Storage: SD Card (SDIO support probable in future)
Connection: USB 2.0 High Speed
Power: 2 x AA battery
Display: 3.5 in 320×240 TFT LCD
TV out: yes (with optional cable)
AC power: 3.3 V

These were just pulled of websites. Well, what exactly do they mean? Is there anything else I need to know? How damaging is overclocking the GP2X?

It's an emulators author's definiation of a challenge.

I would never expect this to happen. Mario at 2fps would surprise me.

Just root for a PS1. Atleast that is possible.

its seems like its not bad for the gp2x at all, if you clock to high it will just crash.

about N64 emulation:
Possible: Yes
Someone working on it: i dont think so
Playable: If someone would work on an arm asm cores for both, the mips r4300i and the RCP (n64 main cpus i think) and use both gp2x core you could get around 12-17 fps i think (without sound), yes this is playable for some of us (me too ;) ).
But this is really hard work and i dont think someone will try it in the next time

Why 2 FPS?

Why 17 FPS?

What are the restrictions we are looking at? It seems that the GP2X has the hardware capability. But, it seems that all of the N64 emus I know do not use SDL, and that presents a problem. But, what else is there?

forget SDL. If a good N64 was made, it would not use SDL. You would only prototype your plugins on an SDL version.

It wouldn't be to hard to port mpupen64, now that the author has indicated that he has a working souce plugin. It just would run slowly. And by slowly, I mean less then a frame per second. You'd have to remove all the x86 specific stuff.

It would be far better to port the plugin to the minimal lib now and later port it to SDL2x or whatever the HH sdk is called now. It'll be possible to use the plugin as an interface to the 2nd CPU. So all graphics request go to one CPU, and the main emulator just uses the first. (in theory)

Then you have your interface on a plugin that works with most n64 emulators.

The next step is porting one of the n64 emulators to linux/arm, with whatever optimsations you can make.

At the end of all this work, I dont imgaine you'll have anything that will run well.

God Ginrai posted on Dec 18 2005 at 07:04 PM said:
And you, who has never coded a working N64 emu, would definately know more about if its possible than the head dev of an N64 emu project?

What are you talking about? Are you stupid? I don't have to code to know that it isn't possible at a playable speed. Just like I don't have to be a coder to know that it can't emulate an xbox or PS2 either.

Just read the specs, if you still think that it is possible then you are nuts.

A problem, that some people don't understand is that just because a system has better specs that the system it's trying to emulate doesn't mean that it can emulate the system, I remember people saying but the *insert system here* only runs at ___ mhz and has ____ RAM but the GP32 has twice/triple etc.. that, so why won't it work?

It takes a rather sizable amount of power for emulation, which is why PORTS of games can run wonderfully but emulations can run a lot worse. You're not just running the game, you're emulating the whole system! That's why you need a 486 or a Pentium to run Commodore 64 games.

Think of the Queen trying to imitate Mr T, the Queen would need a voice coach, perhaps some sort of electronic aid, change her accent, work out, get a much darker tan, grow some male genitals, wear lots of gold chains and say "I pity da fool!" which a perfect gravelly voice.

Before you know it, the Queens used all of the royal treasury

Damn it, did I just write that?

Captainbubby posted on Dec 19 2005 at 12:54 AM said:
Think of the Queen trying to imitate Mr T, the Queen would need a voice coach, perhaps some sort of electronic aid, change her accent, work out, get a much darker tan, grow some male genitals, wear lots of gold chains and say "I pity da fool!" which a perfect gravelly voice.

Before you know it, the Queens used all of the royal treasury

Damn it, did I just write that?

I think that would be an acceptable use of British taxpayer money. I wouldn't feel as strongly about severing ties to the monarchy if the queen was an old woman doing a Mr. T impersonation.

DaveC posted on Dec 19 2005 at 06:11 AM said:
God Ginrai posted on Dec 18 2005 at 07:04 PM said:

What are you talking about? Are you stupid? I don't have to code to know that it isn't possible at a playable speed. Just like I don't have to be a coder to know that it can't emulate an xbox or PS2 either.

Just read the specs, if you still think that it is possible then you are nuts.
*raises hand* I think I'm going to have to agree with DaveC on this one

Think of it this way: We've not got full speed SNES yet, and we are already thinking of a machine that is over 20 times faster in CPU alone? Let alone the dedicated 3D hardware...

Squidge posted on Dec 19 2005 at 02:44 PM said:
Think of it this way: We've not got full speed SNES yet, and we are already thinking of a machine that is over 20 times faster in CPU alone? Let alone the dedicated 3D hardware...

"We" really aren't thinking of it, just a few N008z are :p

Squidge posted on Dec 19 2005 at 09:44 AM said:

I actually came to this thread to post that exact same thing...

Hey, in 5 years, if no-one has coded a working N64 emulator for 2X, I will say, "I quess there never was N64 emu for 2X... Maybe for 4X?"

Untill then, the subject is open, IMHO. :)

Back