N00b Question - Sorry!

dvdbloke

Still Fresh
Hiya, Just got my GP2X, bought 2nd hand from the usual kind of place!
I have a couple of questions, as im not sure if I have a dud unit or not! Its running Firmware 2.0.0, I bought a 2gb SD card for it (Sandisk) and everything basic functionality wise seems to work, power, file transfer etc. but the unit has a great tendancy to crash very very often, espeicially while playing avi's or trying to run mame emulations. Probably works for about 3-4 mins then crashes. Put in brand new batteries, so cant be that! Also, it runs quite hot, Im guessing this is normal however?!

Is this normal functionality for a GP2X, am I missing patches or have I got a brick?

Sorry if this is all lam0, but I have to ask...

Cheers

Make sure you use rechargeable NiMh batteries, 2250mAh or higher.

Also, try running other software on it, see if those crash as well.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Dec 14 2006 at 01:31 PM said:
Make sure you use rechargeable NiMh batteries, 2250mAh or higher.

Also, try running other software on it, see if those crash as well.

- Alex

Thanks alex, Ill give that a try. Does that explain all of the symptoms Im experiencing though? Im just a little worried that there is something wrong with the gp2x I bought and wonder if I should take it up with the seller?

Thanks again. Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't comment on the AVIs crashing, but the MAME crashing could be related to overclocking too high. Are you overclocking, and if so, at what speed?

subcon959 posted on Dec 14 2006 at 02:43 PM said:
Vimacs posted on Dec 14 2006 at 01:53 PM said:
1. dont write like a idiot
That is an appalling way to welcome a new member to the community.

Yeah, I kind of thought that as well, but chose to ignore the comment. Having re-read my original post Im unsure what was idiotic about it. But I dont want to start an argument, i am asking for help after all.

With regard to the overclocking bit, im not sure! When I run a ROM in MAME it says its set to 200Mhz, should I be setting it to more or less? Again, sorry if this is simplistic stuff.

dvdbloke posted on Dec 14 2006 at 03:14 PM said:
Yeah, I kind of thought that as well, but chose to ignore the comment. Having re-read my original post Im unsure what was idiotic about it. But I dont want to start an argument, i am asking for help after all.

I think he was probably referring to your use of the term lam0

....but meh

With regard to the overclocking bit, im not sure! When I run a ROM in MAME it says its set to 200Mhz, should I be setting it to more or less? Again, sorry if this is simplistic stuff.

Hmmm - 200Mhz is, as I understand it, the default, non-overclocked CPU speed.

with movies crashing, i suggesting getting firmware 2.1.1, that seemed to make it stable

My bet would be batteries... Alcalines get pretty warm when discharged as fast as the GP2X does them.

subcon959 posted on Dec 14 2006 at 09:43 AM said:
Vimacs posted on Dec 14 2006 at 01:53 PM said:
1. dont write like a idiot
That is an appalling way to welcome a new member to the community.

And from a mod no less :p

what size/resolution are the avi's at? I find that if they're large (700MB+) that the unit will crash unless you overclock to at least 215MHz. I would recommend using MP2x for viewing avi's. You can also encode the video at 320x240 which will drastically reduce your filesize (and if you're using a 2GB for viewing video AND playing MAME, you're likely already at your limit). Basically, I think you just need to overclock. If you're using the stock menu/frontend, then I don't think you can set your clock speeds (might be able to with the latest firmware for the movie player under settings). Have you tried using Gmenu2x? It's QUITE awesome. (oh and if it doesn't work, you might need this patch for it!).

Back