My Stick Finally Broke!

moxie

The voice of reason, sense and exasperation
Staff member
So, after several years of solid gameplay enjoyment, my poor GP2x:s stick finally broke at my umpteenth attempt at getting to the boss at the end of the castle thingyplace in Wonder Boy in Monster world (you know, the bit where you have the falling moving platforms, right, and you have to jump right-left-right-left very quickly, and...Oh? Ok then, suit yourselves!). And yes, I know that my shiny Pandora will be with me almost any day now, and certainly before christmas (or was that last christmas? Man, these things confuse the hell outta me...), but still, it doesn't feel quite right to leave the old chap lying about with a limp stick.So, someone remind me: What can be done? I supppose DaveC has no more D-pad mod kits left, or? And didn't someone somewhere post instructions on a mod that involved chopping up a gamecube controller or something? Does ED still repair GP2xes? All these questions, and just a limp stick to shake at them all...

Did you try the pull and turn counterclockwise trick? Sometimes the stick isn't broke, just not quite seated properly.

mindlord said:
Did you try the pull and turn counterclockwise trick? Sometimes the stick isn't broke, just not quite seated properly.

No, I'd forgotten about that, but now I've tried pulling and twisting both this way and that, and nothing seems to happen :-( I haven't had time to open it up yet, so I haven't looked at the stick assembly up close, but it doesn't feel good.

Last edited by a moderator:
uk; http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2493381
us; http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=seHrhfPpLDzpod%252baUG%2fvJA%3d%3d
all found in the wiki along with instructions for the thump a limp stick back to life trick; http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GP2X_Issues#Joystick_Problems:_.28needs_input.29

That sounds exactly like my stick, yes. As if a spring popped away somewhere.

So, I will try twisting and turning a bit, and if not, Mouser apparently has the replacement part. Thanks all :)

chickendung said:
Ouch...How do you go to the bathroom? ;)

Going there is no problem, it's when I arrive there it gets difficult... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, the irony...

Ok, so I tried twisting and pulling and whatever, and finally I gave in. I opened up the gp2x and separated it into parts, got to the pcb and pulled and twisted about a bit with the stick again. Still limp as a noodle. So I get myself a broken GC controller, open that, get out the D-pad and the pcb that goes with it, and then I whip out the dremel and start making holes. in the GP2x case and in the flange of the chosen D-pad, so that it will fit over the pad and screwposts and stuff. Now, I have a GP2x with a hole to fit that pad, a pad PCB that at least almost fits (not finished with that yet), and a whole lot of work to do.

Anyway, the last thing I did tonight was to snip off the old limp joystick from the PCH, so that I could start working on getting to the correct pins and stuff. Wirecutters and a small flat screwdriver, snip, snip and pry, and there we go, a stick-less pcb with nice little remains of joystick legs to solder to. Hopefully I will be able to put it all together in some sort of useful way in a day or two. Yes, and of course a loose, limp joystick...or rather, a loose, fully functional joystick. Apparently, the very acts of snipping and prying was what was needed to put it back in order... :blink:

Oh, well. Hopefully it'll work out in the end. :D

Back