game008.png

[cut]
Code:
Opengraphics document for WIP game 
v1.0 - 24/02/2007

What's this?
------------

Hi,

Once upon a time I contacted a good graphician named NachoYagüe and we started a free game. 

We did quite a lot in a few days, however we dropped the game due to our personal circumstances. 

I've decided to go open-graphics with my game today, just before the lack of graphics kills it definitely.

Original graphician agreed recently to let me use and modify his graphics and animations freely in this project. 

So there I go again, now with your help :-)

The game concept is to move quickly a cute girl in a bomberman-ish scenario completing some mission objectives, before the time goes by or before any other player wins first. 

The player has to avoid other bigger animals (like a cocodrile) and players, and avoid sunking in water too.

Some mission objectives may be:

- reach a screen border jumping over stones without touching the water, before another player does it first. Enemy: time, wild wind & scenario.

- reach a screen border jumping over floating trees without touching the water, before another player does it first. Enemy: time, tree rotation & scenario.

- capture N butterflies, or other small animals before another player does it first. Enemy: time, other players & scenario.

- capture N frogs over waterlillies before the waterlillies sunk in water. Enemy: time, other players & scenario.

- capture N fireflies at night before the other player does it first. Enemy: low visibility, other players & scenario.

- push other players to water. Enemy: time, other players & scenario.

- etc

There are power ups in each screen to help players doing his job first. They include big birds to mount which lets you jump longer, big rabbit to mount which lets you move faster, honey-catapult which to attract bees to other players, boxing-glove with spring to push players to water, etc. 

Wanna help?: what I need right now
----------------------------------

- I need you to improve current animations (please keep the same graphics style :-).

- I need you to draw new graphics and animations (please keep the same graphics style :-) :
  - Girl jumping, girl running, trees, birds, rabbits, frogs, fishes, stones, waterlillies, and leaves flying.
  - Others graphics and animations (not important right now).

Wanna help?: how we work
------------------------

- Draw your sprites and animations in any program you like as long as you encapsulate them later in a PSD (Photoshop) file format.

- Draw sprites and animations using palettes, however, the final PSD must be hicolor and cannot use transparency, non-rasterized layers, or alpha channels.

- Draw with larger canvas than sprite size if needed. Our exporter will crop the graphics and will do the dirty job.

- Group static objects of a same genre in a same PSD too. For example, a file named 'flowers.psd' or 'rocks.psd' must contain a full set of static frames of different flowers and rocks. Btw, put each graphic in a layer.

- When animating, put all frames (N) of an object in a same PSD. And put each frame in a layer.

- When animating different orientations of a same sprite (girl walking down, left, up, right for example), put all animation sets in a same PSD (4 sets of N frames each in this example).

- We use Photoshop's default transparent color as our transparent color. However to adjust sprite coordinates in animations we use pure green (0,255,0) and pure purple (0,255,255) in a cross-axis in bottom layer (check girl-walking.psd example). The exporter will adjust automatically coordinates by checking the position of sprites in relation with this cross-axis.

- Default animation delay is 0 between each frame. If you want to modify delay of a frame, just rename the layer to a number. The bigger number you write, the bigger delay you get.

- As final note, each layer you draw should include optionally some info in "author: comment" format. If there is a delay comment already (check previous note), keep the delay comment first. 

And that's all
--------------

Now check the current graphics set and if you feel they match your style, just join our project :-)

Have fun! :D

rlyeh

opengraphics zip:
http://www.emulnation.info/retrodev/opengraphics.zip[/cut]

That game looks pretty good. Is it multiplayer only or does it have single player modes too?

I have the demo of that game which was a test for something on my gp32 still lol. I always wished it to become something greater. Ill see if I can help out.

Oh, wish you much luck in finding some people to help out :)

I`d wish you had also released the source, I`d love to know how you made that water effect so fast on the gp32.

Damn, if I could do pixel graphics (and had time) I would help. If you do a 3D game send me a PM ;)

Btw maybe ask over at the tigsource forums, lots of great pixelartists there, and I really think the GP2X should be more present there :
http://tigsource.com/

Their communitly game is btw really awesome and could make its way to the GP2X.

Ryleh, what would you be looking for?

Nova posted on Mar 4 2007 at 07:27 PM said:
Ryleh, what would you be looking for?

Quoting myself:

Wanna help?: what I need right now
----------------------------------

- I need you to improve current animations (please keep the same graphics style :).

- I need you to draw new graphics and animations (please keep the same graphics style :) :
- Girl jumping, girl running, trees, birds, rabbits, frogs, fishes, stones, waterlillies, and leaves flying.
- Others graphics and animations (not important right now).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I read too fast, and skip over the important details..

Julius posted on Mar 4 2007 at 05:43 PM said:
Damn, if I could do pixel graphics (and had time) I would help. If you do a 3D game send me a PM ;)

Btw maybe ask over at the tigsource forums, lots of great pixelartists there, and I really think the GP2X should be more present there :
http://tigsource.com/

Their communitly game is btw really awesome and could make its way to the GP2X.

Holy Crap, that Balding’s Quest community game looks definately fit for the gp2x! And also, Ryleh, if you are going to continue with this game, I would offer some help. I am crap with animations though. If you can find some more people, I am willing to contribute. The problem is that I am not an excellent pixel artist by any means so I would need someone to instruct/help with difficult or lots of work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back