Music Players Supporting Libraries

tsh

Website
Visit site
Is Exaile the only music player which is packaged so far that supports music libraries? I have been trying to do some battery life tests, and it seems to have a memory leak (dies after an hour or two). I tried the others that I could find, and they all seemto be just playlist based... Have I missed something? (saw the WIP 'light' player, which could be added to the wiki projects in progress...)

mplayer works well as a music player... I believe deadbeaf is pretty nice as well... hopefully (if it's not already packaged) someone will do xfmedia, pragha (I think that's how it's spelled) or rhythmbox (which is like an itunes-looking option) for a bit of variety as well as battery test purposes... I have a buddy over at Unity Linux who likes to package the lightest music players he can find, I'll ask him which ones are the lightest that he knows of as of late and drop some requests for a few PNDs of them (oh, and make not of them here as well... :p)

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
mplayer works well as a music player... I believe deadbeaf is pretty nice as well... hopefully (if it's not already packaged) someone will do xfmedia, pragha (I think that's how it's spelled) or rhythmbox (which is like an itunes-looking option) for a bit of variety as well as battery test purposes... I have a buddy over at Unity Linux who likes to package the lightest music players he can find, I'll ask him which ones are the lightest that he knows of as of late and drop some requests for a few PNDs of them (oh, and make not of them here as well... :p )
I use Moc aka Mocp for music on my linux box. It's a nice light-weight curses based music player. Hopefully someone wil PND it or something simular.

Last edited by a moderator:
wrath of khan said:
not sure but deadbeef is nice and simple to use i find.
It doesn'tr seem to want to read in my library of 5000 tracks and organise them for me - it only plays tracks that i give it a path for?

Ommpc is one i'd not found...

Ive seen that for playing my 30000+ tracks from my nas goes best with audacious. (it does crash once in a while but its the 2.4 beta version Im using) I tried the same thing with exaile and deadbeef and they didnt work at all for this purpose. Deadbeef is nice however to play songs from sd :) (and it scrobbles)

Bosbeetle said:
Ive seen that for playing my 30000+ tracks from my nas goes best with audacious.
Must be something in the UI that is foxing me then... I couldn't find a 'library' display in 2.3 (from the file archive)

tsh said:
Bosbeetle said:
Ive seen that for playing my 30000+ tracks from my nas goes best with audacious.
Must be something in the UI that is foxing me then... I couldn't find a 'library' display in 2.3 (from the file archive)

I dont remember by head but you can click on something like view --> playlist or something than you get a playlist view. You can have several playlists on there and go forward by tab en backward by shift-tab. To search you can press 'j' to get into a search panel. (i dont know how much library you need)

Bosbeetle said:
tsh said:
Bosbeetle said:

I dont remember by head but you can click on something like view --> playlist or something than you get a playlist view. You can have several playlists on there and go forward by tab en backward by shift-tab. To search you can press 'j' to get into a search panel. (i dont know how much library you need)

Playlist isn't the same as library to me... If I want to find all tracks by an artist, or by name, or genre, or rating - I'd need an infinite number of playlists to cover this! I just want to point it at /media/Media/music, and have it sick in all the tags into a database...

tsh said:
Bosbeetle said:
tsh said:
Bosbeetle said:

Playlist isn't the same as library to me... If I want to find all tracks by an artist, or by name, or genre, or rating - I'd need an infinite number of playlists to cover this! I just want to point it at /media/Media/music, and have it sick in all the tags into a database...

Ah okay, it doesnt do that.

tsh said:
Bosbeetle said:
tsh said:
Bosbeetle said:

You want Cmus! I compiled it and put it in a thread here somewhere... can't remember.

cmus-2.3.0.png

It's much more feature filled than it looks. Plus, it can be controlled entirely from the keyboard and game buttons.

tsh said:
Bosbeetle said:
tsh said:
Bosbeetle said:

Well, you could check to see if there is an extension for FF that does that. <.< Or you could try to talk someone into porting Songbird.

-God Ginrai

SomeGuy99 said:
It's much more feature filled than it looks. Plus, it can be controlled entirely from the keyboard and game buttons.
Links here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54923-the-pandora-apps-thread/page__view__findpost__p__885409
Nice. Not the most intuitive UI I've come across... I couldn't work out how to navigate the library view, switching panes wasn't too obvious... Volume control seems not to work (although why it has 6 different key bindings wasn't clear)

I'll need to have some mpd-clients installed to control mpd on my htpc, so my plan ist to also use mpd on my pandora if I'll ever recieve it :D
I even use mpd on my dingoo, though it makes less sense without network-connectivity and superb clients ^^

Cmus looks really nice, any chance for a dingoo-port? I'll check aur for it now.

tsh said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Links here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54923-the-pandora-apps-thread/page__view__findpost__p__885409
Nice. Not the most intuitive UI I've come across... I couldn't work out how to navigate the library view, switching panes wasn't too obvious... Volume control seems not to work (although why it has 6 different key bindings wasn't clear)

Yeah, the controls are a bit unwieldy at first, but they work nicely.

I never tried the volume control personally - I just used the wheel mostly.

GMPC is the best thing I've found, but you have to install it using opkg and edit the configuration files so it doesn't try to mess with the NAND.

Is anyone considering porting SongBird?
It's the closest thing I'll ever get to my beloved MediaMonkey.

BTW: MediaMonkey, for those who don't know, is a very pretty, but extremely powerful (think poweruser-compatible) music player/organiser. And SongBird is essentially an open-source clone of iTunes (bleh!) which works pretty well and has a built in web-browser based on FireFox.

atomicthumbs said:
GMPC is the best thing I've found, but you have to install it using opkg and edit the configuration files so it doesn't try to mess with the NAND.
NP, my nand is not mounted as root, I'm booting from SD, and have opkg installed more than I care to remember when trying to compile some xfce stuff.

Back