Music player

Cas

Hi

What is the best music player at the moment for the Pandora ?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's completely subjective. What's best for some, won't be for others. :p I use Deadbeef myself, because it fits in nicely with how I listen to music, whilst others swear by Audacious, Exaile, or numerous others.

Why not try a few and see what suits you best?

That's completely subjective. What's best for some, won't be for others. :p I use Deadbeef myself, because it fits in nicely with how I listen to music, whilst others swear by Audacious, Exaile, or numerous others.

Why not try a few and see what suits you best?

Hi

Wish I had not asked now, oh, and the same to you :p

On the desktop I use Decibel because its extremely lightweight, fast and to the point. I don't have the Pandora yet, but it's GTK+ based so I guess it won't take much work to get it working in Angstrom. http://decibel.silent-blade.org

I am an audacious user (mainly switched from deadbeef because of a bad performance listing the songs on my external HD via wifi) still have to try rockbox it looks sweet.

I think rockbox is the best interface, although the overlooked OMMPC looks like it could also be the first touch friendly interface that Rockbox has been hailed (except I cant seem to get it to find my media, as you cant type capitals in the filepaths) but deadeef is a nice straightforward set-up.

I recently discovered ENNA (no idea how I missed Sebt3's old port of this) and I think thats a great front end for music. pictures and films. It allows picture viewing whilst listening to music lists and can be minimised down, unlike XMBMC for multi-tasking external apps. Also seems to have a built in Comic store/selection in it and viewer, which I haven't figured the controls for yet and weather, like XMBMC does. So theres lots of options and thats still just a few.

However I've now tested them all including qTSpotify and all of them except Exaile suffer an issue, namely that they don't support Bluetooth.

Infact only MPlayer, Exaile and PanPlayer do.

Everything else either ignores your paired Bluetooth speakers or headphones (I cant get mine to pair) and either plays from the internal speakers or is just silent. All other apps/games/emus etc are the same, either silent or playing via internal speakers. Makes a loud or quiet game session impossible at present except via wired speakers/headphones which tethers your Pandora, or it to you.

In addition the Bluetooth streaming is poor from Exaile and skips like hell and crashes MPlayer if you do anything else in a strange way, where its still on the desktop frozen but cant be shut with the Pandora kill button and eventually responds to right clicking and quiting, or requires a reboot.

I am sure these BT issues will get remedied in future if it can be worked out why, or if Pulseaudio is possible perhaps.

Sorry for the slight off topic.

deadbeef IMO. I can play MAME games (especially those without sound) whiles listening to my mp3s. Rockbox goes to full screen so it might be a little more difficult to go to multi task.

deadbeef IMO. I can play MAME games (especially those without sound) whiles listening to my mp3s. Rockbox goes to full screen so it might be a little more difficult to go to multi task.
There's a small trick to push rockbox in the background:

Hold the pandora menu button until the "Kill application" window occurs.

This will put rockbox in the background. You can then run something else.

Switchable fullscreen/windowed mode is still in the works.

I tend to use DeadBeef when i'm trying to listen to something while i'm multitasking(browsing with Midori, for example). Of the graphical music players, it seems to meet my basic needs while being light enough on memory to permit browsing. I've even set up a few hotkey shortcuts so I can, for example, skip to the next track by holding start/select and pushing right on the d-pad, or pausing by holding start/select and pressing space. It's very nice while still reading something in Midori.

On the other hand, I tend to use Rockbox when all I want is to listen to music - or to listen to longer audio files, like books or radio shows. It's the only browser on the Pandora that i'm aware of that will let me pause and resume within the same audio track, even when I quit the application.

Im using LienMP3, Musikq - both from CLI Love Package and both have minimal cpu usage [so you can play on emulators without loosing performance].

Obviously they all have strengths and weaknesses relative to each other. What works best for one person is going to depend on what they're looking for.

Things like this NOT definitive list could be built into a grid with the music players on the other axis and check boxes or rankings...

Low CPU overhead for extended playback time

Low memory footprint for multi-tasking

User adjustable read caching (for wifi streaming or multi-tasking)

Playlist manageability

File formats accepted (one row per format)

Command line functionality

Windowed point & click

Full screen point & click

Time taken to scan a large music library for initial playback

Shuffle play

Equalizer

Multiple equalizer settings

Equalizer settings saved by song

Album art shown

Similar music recommendations provided

Visualization

Customizable visualization