Music In Homebrew Games

What software do you guys/gals use to produce music for your games, is the anything i can download that is free, or something that will allow me to use a demo version for trial purposes. (i dont want to buy untill im sure i want it)
Hia,

To create the music I use Sonar Pro, Cool Edit to convert to MP3 and FreeRip to convert to OGG.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spend most of my time producing music, i would love to write some tracks for games

I was also looking for a tool to convert to these formats, without any luck.

What software do you guys/gals use to produce music for your games, is the anything i can download that is free, or something that will allow me to use a demo version for trial purposes. (i dont want to buy untill im sure i want it)

I can use pro tools, reason, cubase, fruityloops.......... but none of these have the ability to output in the file formats you need to use for games (unless its ogg)

I made tons of stuff years ago with fruity loops, it's my favourite. I use sound forge aswell as wave editor and to export the files. I have just downloaded accousticas audio converter, it can compress ogg really small.

I'm going to start releasing the first 10 tracks as a beat 2x pack. Don't everyone hold their breath though. I'm no jean michel jarre. More the guy off monty python with the mouse organ. But if anyone does like the songs they will be free to use them for a game or something. Or I could make them something similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of length should a track be for these (presumably the air hockey game has a time limit on a game)?

i searched the forum and was very surprised to see no posts about splice music. it is a lot of free music/sound effects and looks like exactly what a lot of devs have been looking for. all the sounds/songs are under the creative commons license so you just need to put a name in the credits and youre in the clear! they also have a cool sound sequencer for making your own music.

I thought there would be a program to allow me to convert to the file types you wanted to use but I cannot find anything to do that.

And the trackers aren't really the sort of thing I want to use.

Unless anyone knows of a program that can convert, or someone wants to use ogg or something like that then that counts me out.

I've downloaded MadTracker and that lets you export to ogg.

It's definitely worth checking out Jamendo for music that's free to distribute; all the music there is under various Creative Commons licenses - if you just limit your searches to ones that allow for distribution.

Likewise, check out The Freesound Project which has a load of Creative Commons sound effects.

HTH

Hello all,
first post in here.
I was wondering if this is the only music board in the homebrew neighboorhood?
I don't programm games but have been writing music in rather old formats (think Nes), I was wondering if there is is a general consensus on the file extension used in homebrew devellopped here.
Is it IT/MOD format?

cheers!

I found neat to use *.ogg files
SDL_mixer handles them just perfectly, but there is significaly latency if mixing wavs larger than 50ms

Back