Multitasking

Moxie said:
Exophase said:
Moxie said:
Ah. I was confused as to why this was an issue, but now I understand.

The whole mobile world moves accordingly with how Apple snaps their fingers. Just look at how many people think it's outrageous for a handheld to have gaming controls, or even any kind of buttons at all.

People. I don't understand them. But I guess that's why I'm sitting here with a badly paying teacher job instead of being an IT millionaire :)

I got a new mobile the other day - An LG GW620 (or 'Etna' or whatever). Android, of course, and a slide-out proper keyboard (that is actually quite usable, despite its size). People ask "But why not an iPhone? They're not that expensive now?". Because it is broken by design - No keyboard. People look at me funny. I still have to fumble about on the touch screen to dial a number, of course, but the 12 number buttons actually get up to a reasonable size on-screen. The idea that people want to do stuff like twittering or typing URLs into the web browser using that hunt-the-flyspeck onscreen thingy...

People. I do not understand them.

- We have decided that our next model, the iPrat, will have Absolutely No Controls At All! That is right - The user (or, as we call them, the "iPrat Community Companion™") will have no way to influence the operations of the device, so that he can instead concentrate on leaning back and Experiencing The iPrat™!

*wild cheering*

*chant from the snazzily dressed, design conscious and not at all unwashed masses, thankyouverymuch*: "Iiits sooo juserfieeendlyyyy"

- Oh, did we mention that you can get it in 16 colours?

*massive designerasm*

People. I don't understand them.

</rant off>

hope you do understand your pupils though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
SomeGuy99 said:
skeezix said:
Desqview?

I think that was it, yeah.

I used to use Desqview on a 10Mhz XT machine so I could run COMMO in two panes running two 2400bps modems in the background AND play games in the foreground.

Gad I'm old.

I used to use Desqview to have multiple telnet sessions open to my MIPS Magnum pizzabox, which only had a single serial port output ..thus I got a 386+Desqview so I could have 4 terminals open to my Unix box, lol .. those were the days.

/me looks at his current big fat multi-core box, mostly .. being .. used .. as a .. terminal machine .. umm ..

torpor said:
/me looks at his current big fat multi-core box, mostly .. being .. used .. as a .. terminal machine .. umm ..

WELCOME, TIME TRAVELLER, TO THE WOOOOORLD OF THE FUUUUTUUURE!!!

Moxie said:
People. I don't understand them. But I guess that's why I'm sitting here with a badly paying teacher job instead of being an IT millionaire :)

I got a new mobile the other day - An LG GW620 (or 'Etna' or whatever). Android, of course, and a slide-out proper keyboard (that is actually quite usable, despite its size). People ask "But why not an iPhone? They're not that expensive now?". Because it is broken by design - No keyboard. People look at me funny. I still have to fumble about on the touch screen to dial a number, of course, but the 12 number buttons actually get up to a reasonable size on-screen. The idea that people want to do stuff like twittering or typing URLs into the web browser using that hunt-the-flyspeck onscreen thingy...

People. I do not understand them.

- We have decided that our next model, the iPrat, will have Absolutely No Controls At All! That is right - The user (or, as we call them, the "iPrat Community Companion(tm)") will have no way to influence the operations of the device, so that he can instead concentrate on leaning back and Experiencing The iPrat(tm)!

*wild cheering*

*chant from the snazzily dressed, design conscious and not at all unwashed masses, thankyouverymuch*: "Iiits sooo juserfieeendlyyyy"

- Oh, did we mention that you can get it in 16 colours?

*massive designerasm*

People. I don't understand them.

</rant off>

I understand why you and many other people don't like the touch screen. I have owned many phones and the iphone has the best input for typing texts and numbers I gave ever used IMO.

Typing was a little tricky before the sideways keyboard showed up in 3.0. I have quite large hands too and very rarely tap the wrong letter and if you do it usually auto corrects pretty accurately. to be fair though the only full keyboard phone I have used is a blackberry and my old Nokia 3300 which was a joke.

Each to there own though :)

BTW I'm not a big fan of apple TBH I work on macs at work and there nothing special I have owned an ipod photo and the iphone 3GS.

All round very fast phone and IMHO I cant't fault it except maybe no multi tasking as of yet, I will agree they lack good gaming/emulation controls, but then again there are some really good touch screen games about too.

I cant see me going for any other phone soon.

just my 2 cents :)

Oh, I have no probs with the touch screen. It is excellent for doing touchscreeny things - Selecting and dragging and stuff like that. But for keyboard use, I want a keyboard :D

Moxie said:
Oh, I have no probs with the touch screen. It is excellent for doing touchscreeny things - Selecting and dragging and stuff like that. But for keyboard use, I want a keyboard :D

Agreed.

-God Ginrai

i do hate the iphone,

it seems my fingers dont work at all on those, i have an old ipaq and i was able to quickly tap on screen keyboard on bare fingers even if the keys where less than 10pixels wide.

(yes the iphone didnt work at all with my fingers, even dry, wet, or just washed.)

DroneB Dev said:
(yes the iphone didnt work at all with my fingers, even dry, wet, or just washed.)

Capacitive touchscreens use the electrical charge generated by living tissue.

What I'm trying to get at here is, are you a zombie?

SomeGuy99 said:
DroneB Dev said:

I am non-zombie and I have trouble with the capacitive touchscreen recognizing me as well.

-God Ginrai

SomeGuy99 said:
DroneB Dev said:

people sometimes believe im a robot or sorta, but no neither robot or zombie/vampire/undead/etc.

i have a dell equiped with capacitive touch screen and it does work most of the time, then sometimes it just doesnt work at all for a while
it is just me, everyone who has tried the iphone or my laptop it seemed to work fine.

i trend to have my hands very dry because of my mania of washing my hands, but even if i use humectant cream or whatsoever it doesnt work better.
i also tried ECG GEL on the point of my fingers and NOPE so its not that problem.

Grench said:
I used to use Desqview on a 10Mhz XT machine so I could run COMMO in two panes running two 2400bps modems in the background AND play games in the foreground.Gad I'm old.
torpor said:
I used to use Desqview to have multiple telnet sessions open to my MIPS Magnum pizzabox, which only had a single serial port output ..thus I got a 386+Desqview so I could have 4 terminals open to my Unix box, lol .. those were the days./me looks at his current big fat multi-core box, mostly .. being .. used .. as a .. terminal machine .. umm ..
sometimes i wish i was alive back then. i think it would have been nice to watch and take part as computers bloomed into the wondrous pieces of equipment they are today

Deyna said:
sometimes i wish i was alive back then. i think it would have been nice to watch and take part as computers bloomed into the wondrous pieces of equipment they are today
Working out which drivers and stuff you can kill to try to free up just enough of the 640K base memory to be able to get DOOM to start is less fun than it sounds. :)

Line O said:
Deyna said:
Working out which drivers and stuff you can kill to try to free up just enough of the 640K base memory to be able to get DOOM to start is less fun than it sounds. :)
Used to think I enjoyed all that, now I wonder if I just convinced myself I did :lol:

config.sys, autoexec.bat, himem.sys all those little thing that could, if they where not well tuned, prevent you from playing a game that would run perfectly fine on your hardware! :rolleyes:
I think too, that we just convinced ourselves that it was fun "it was just a part of the game".

It is fun, in the same way that it is fun to strip a linux dist down to the bare essentials in order to run it on a palmtop or the way it is fun to build a ship in a bottle. It is a challenge unto itself. It is, however, definitely not the same thing as playing the game you set out to do, so if that is your goal, the tinkering just gets in the way :)

Deyna said:
Grench said:
I used to use Desqview on a 10Mhz XT machine so I could run COMMO in two panes running two 2400bps modems in the background AND play games in the foreground.Gad I'm old.
torpor said:
I used to use Desqview to have multiple telnet sessions open to my MIPS Magnum pizzabox, which only had a single serial port output ..thus I got a 386+Desqview so I could have 4 terminals open to my Unix box, lol .. those were the days./me looks at his current big fat multi-core box, mostly .. being .. used .. as a .. terminal machine .. umm ..
that sarcasm thing right?

grasshoppir said:
Deyna said:
Grench said:
torpor said:
that sarcasm thing right?
nope no sarcasm. i really do love computers that much. ^_^
i would have loved to see them go from sub 100MHz procs with 40MB (or smaller) hdds to the 3.3GHz hexacore procs and 2TB hdds (i've even heard tell of 3TB hdds) we have today

Back