GP2X Mplayer Library

yeah, no kidding. if it weren't for the GPL, we wouldn't have the GP2X. you run GPL software every time you boot the GP2X .. never forget that!

(its good too)

on-topic: i for one would love to see this mplayer library evolve with a bit of funk into something that can dynamically scale a video stream using the onboard GP2X scaler .. but that may just be a pipedream (i have a desire for small video in a 64x64 window, for example..)

Don't see why I can't scale it down - it's already scaled to 320x240 anyway. Not sure about sticking it in a window though, but it's probably possible, with a bit of hacking.

I can also make possible to do stuff whilst the video is running - but I chose simplicity over function this time around.

I bet you could do scaling to a window just fine, but you might have to do a colorspace conversion to get the final result on the screen (sounds like a job for the 940)

I have a command-line version of this compiled - it seems to corrupt when I try to upload it, so if you want a copy and this link doesn't work, drop me a mail.

If your app calls a separate executable that is under the GPL, it does not make your app GPL, which is quite handy.

Download (or drop me a mail)

Syntax is:
Code:
g2cmd your_video.avi

nickspoon said:
mongolito404 said:
nickspoon said:
Well fine then. Using this, you'll have to give out source to your app on request, but you have to do that anyway if you're using SDL.

Again, no. SDL is licensed under the LGPL. See the SDL licensing FAQ.

Oh yay. More licensing. Happy, happy, happy.

Right. Fine. I will make this clear. Anything released using this library is under the GPL.

*waits for somebody to find a problem with that, too*

So who actually *enforces* GPL/LGPL???

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, there's plenty of nut cases around just waiting to jump on their prey. I remember a while back someone threatened GPH with a lawsuit over firmware-related GPL violations. It's just what a small company with a one-of-a-kind product needed.

Alex. said:
Oh, there's plenty of nut cases around just waiting to jump on their prey. I remember a while back someone threatened GPH with a lawsuit over firmware-related GPL violations. It's just what a small company with a one-of-a-kind product needed.
GPL needs to be respected, also by small companies or even free time devs. I know Exophase was really pissed his gpsp was ported to the Motorola A780 phone without the person releasing the source.
He was absolutely right, thats how it works.
If you use GPL software you need to share the source if you adjust it.

But to summarize this: You think Exophase is a nut case? :p

b._.o._.b said:
Having spoken to him several times...

Getting the mplayer output into a corner shouldn't be to hard as its using a different layer anyway, just set yuv windows so that it fits your needs.
Of course spoon would need to make it possible to thread the lib.

b._.o._.b said:
Alex. said:
GPL needs to be respected, also by small companies or even free time devs. I know Exophase was really pissed his gpsp was ported to the Motorola A780 phone without the person releasing the source.
He was absolutely right, thats how it works.
If you use GPL software you need to share the source if you adjust it.

All right, I came off too strong again. I still think that verbal persuasion is a much better approach than legal threats though, especially when directed at companies/persons that had no bad will, but simply overlooked some things.

nickspoon said:
Don't see why I can't scale it down - it's already scaled to 320x240 anyway. Not sure about sticking it in a window though, but it's probably possible, with a bit of hacking.

I can also make possible to do stuff whilst the video is running - but I chose simplicity over function this time around.

Is that gonna happen ? It would be very good to be able to do stuff in the background. It would set a devious plan of mine in motion if it could ....

.. and here is a hint of what could be very easy .....

DSC_5402.jpg

woogal said:
Just remove all the interaction from Dragons Lair. No-one would notice.
It's a part of my arcade history and is important to me. I don't expect others to understand, but thats just the way it is. I also love Space Ace - but can't stand the others because they never came to my local arcade ...

I guess from the lack of replies that noone is interested in being able to run code whilst playing video :-(

Sounds about right to me. Modify the library yourself if you want it to happen.

Back