Mplayer Help. Speed

007jaws

Does anyone know how i can watch decent movies in mplayer on wiz, the movies are working but very slow and slight glitches, any ideas how to do better with mplayer?

Thanks

007jaws

007jaws said:
Does anyone know how i can watch decent movies in mplayer on wiz, the movies are working but very slow and slight glitches, any ideas how to do better with mplayer?

Thanks

007jaws

Are you using the mplayer built in or the one built from source? If its the one built from source then go to the options and set the clock speed to the highest (750-800, different for everyone).

mplayer also has some trouble playing mp4/h.264 files because they require more CPU power. Xvids and WMVs play fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
007jaws said:

Thanks

007jaws

As Darkknight512 said, if you are using the source built mplayer, you need to tweak the options and add file extentions as well to the extensions file to play other file types. I found that most flash videos you download off the internet work well at 750-800 and if you take an .avi that is skipping or slow and use a video converter (like AnyVideoConverter) to compress it to a "mobile" format it works really well. I have done this with several movies I have and they run and sound great. You loose some on quality but with this I have been able to fit 5-6 movies on one 4GB SD card. (Shrek 2, Coraline, Kung-Fu Panda, Napoleon Dynamite, and the Grudge 1&2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also disabling audio boosts speed too. The A/V Sync can ruin everything. Use "-ao none" or "-frameskip off".

For a more substantial solution would be to check wheter the code uses or even misuses floating point calculations and possibly replace them by a fixed point math model.

Back