MPEG-4 audio codec

Twimfy

OMG 3 years here!
Website
www.stctg.co.uk
Ok, just recently downloaded a few episodes of the simpsons (naughty I know....but who here has any official video files? exactly!)

when I come to open them in virtualdub (or any other encoding/decoding software) I get a message stating that it cannot load the audio stream because they are encoded in MPEG-4 (which apparently is a new codec, now supported by quicktime 6.2) anyhoo I progress to do my usual compression technique in a hope that it won't matter. When I'm done and I test them in media player they play but with video only whereas prior to altering, media player runs them no problem. My questions are; where do I get the codecs? has anybody come across this prob before? and can anyone explain why media player has them and nothing else? (media player never has anything at all...its microsoft for pete's sake!) and how do I fix the problem?

Thanks.

See, this is somethnig not adressed usually by the convertign guides. Vdub only takes AVI's,so if u have say an MPEG of any sort it must first me converted to a AVI using one of many OTHER programs. I use FlaskMPEG

See, this is somethnig not adressed usually by the convertign guides. Vdub only takes AVI's,so if u have say an MPEG of any sort it must first me converted to a AVI using one of many OTHER programs. I use FlaskMPEG
VirtualDub can load mpeg files. I have a few (mostly JPop videos) and I can load them into VirtualDub just fine. I have also converted them for use on MoviePark.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm back after some experimentation....I usually use flask to convert VOB's (DVD) to avi in preperation for Vdub, so I tried flask and I get the same report from that too upon opening the MPEG. I can open MPEG's in Vdub and encode them anyway as I just recently did so, so flask was quite pointless but I thought I'd have a go. I've tried downloading some other MPEG-4 audio codecs from other sites and still I have the same problem. Surely we're missing something obvious, does nobody have any idea?

Well, I have not been able to get VDub to load an Mpeg movie....so i always use flask to convert to avi first

Back