MP3 Bitrate question?

Kop_007

Istanbul Red
Looking through my MP3's noticing that they have varying bitrates 128, 256 etc etc I hear the GP32 will only play 128 , is this correct? Is there anyway to convert to a bitrate of 128?

thanks.

There are ways to convert to a lower bitrate, though trying to go up would just make it sound really, really not good. I know how to convert files, but the way I do it is probably the worst way (convert to wave, then back from wave to MP3).

Yes, the player that comes with the standard bios only plays 128k mp3's.
This also seems to be true about the other players that have been released. (if anyone knows better I'd be glad to know :) )

As for resampling a 56k... It's not hard to do but I don't recommend it.
By the time you have finished doing such a conversion there will be so little of the original signal left that the quality will be very poor. Say goodbye to any bass that had survived the trip to 128k.

Softseek.com had loads of mp3 encoder programs last time I looked if you still fancy your chances. ;)

This has been a common rumor.

The GP32 will play other bitrates. I havn't done a comprehensive test, but I know that 160kb/s works, and 256kb/s seems to usually work. I've got a couple 192k songs on there now, I'll listen to them at work and let you know.

Some songs (I'm not sure what bitrates) crash the GP32 when they finish with either an exception on Mr.Spiv's firmware or by simply putting the GP32 into an infinite loop.
It could be that the higher-bitrate songs are the ones that cause this, but it'll take more testing. I had suspected that it was ID3 tags which were causing it, but have now ruled that out.

I have yet to see a variable bitrate song work.

Finished listening to the songs. Only one of them had a problem, and it was one of the 128k songs. It crashed the GP32 at the end of the song (controls are unresponsive, have to turn it off to get it to do anything).

the three 192k songs all played fine.

Back