Movies On Gp32

Most new Animes i watch run at full speed with near perfectr quality 32bit sound 4kbs, Encoded to be 60megs each. So i can fit 2 on 1 card :)

What clock speed is that running at though? My 160mhz GP32 (with GPCinema clocked at 150mhz) can't handle 32bit audio unless I drop the frame rate to something much lower than 17fps

Cartoons generally look better anyway as they have larger patches of solid colour, also because of such you can squish em down to a smaller file size. I actually got the whole of "The Emperors New Groove" onto a 128M card, with a little room to spare!

Actual video is another matter, there's a lot more information in it and takes more data and consequently, larger file sizes!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say for movies the PSP is the way to go...
Another useless post out of the point.
We already know the psp capabilities, but we are talking here about GP32.
Let me say that your post looks a bit troll-ish
Exactly.
And while we´re at it, the video playback af the PSP isn´t that great anyway, selfmade videos are limited to a resolution of 320x240 (but can be scaled up). Even the Zodiac or other HiRes+ Palms can do much better (480x320), not to talk about those PPC´s with 640x480 resolution...

It took me ages to find a way to convert DVD vob files to avi, but I eventually found this http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec.html (the files comes out with a different extension but alls fine, just change it to *.avi), I used the *.wav option for audio. Then I divx'ed it in virtualdub.

I haven't found a way of going straight from vob to divx yet. I thought this might work: http://www.bvrp.com/eng/products/DigitalVideoDuplicator/ but it aint got a trial version to see if it would be suitable.

A bit off topic but it may be of use to someone ;)

Exactly.
And while we´re at it, the video playback af the PSP isn´t that great anyway, selfmade videos are limited to a resolution of 320x240 (but can be scaled up). Even the Zodiac or other HiRes+ Palms can do much better (480x320), not to talk about those PPC´s with 640x480 resolution...

Those grapes would have been sour anyways right? Everybody on this forum who owns a psp knows it has superior video playback and that's all we're trying to get across to people trying to decided between the two. Actually, if you had ever encoded any psp video you would know that 320x240 is the resolution you use for 4:3 videos. 368x208 and 417x176 are both supported psp resolutions. And I must say, owning both a psp and a gp32, the widescreen, 29.97 fps, 768kbps video and 128 kbps audio of the psp absolutely destroys the playback of my 15 fps gp32.

Exactly.

Those grapes would have been sour anyways right? Everybody on this forum who owns a psp knows it has superior video playback and that's all we're trying to get across to people trying to decided between the two. Actually, if you had ever encoded any psp video you would know that 320x240 is the resolution you use for 4:3 videos. 368x208 and 417x176 are both supported psp resolutions. And I must say, owning both a psp and a gp32, the widescreen, 29.97 fps, 768kbps video and 128 kbps audio of the psp absolutely destroys the playback of my 15 fps gp32.

I hate to tell you this but its not sour grapes if the earlier posts are actually trolls. In this particular case it is trolling. This thread is about movies on the GP32. Writing a post saying the PSP is better in this thread is flat out trolling. If you create a new thread (something like GP32 vs PSP) and then state your opinion about it then that isn't trolling. In fact people trying to decide between the two will be the main people looking in the thread. Lesson: Stay on topic!!! (This particular thread has nothing to do with the PSP)

Back on topic:
Has anyone encoded any movies with subtitles? If so how?

You need a plugin in virtualdub called "subtitler" of Avery Lee (or a similar plugin).
Then you can add .srt or .ssa files (= subtitle files).

Back