GP2X Motivation

Website
Visit site
Im continually impressed by the work of the devs on here. I know what it takes to write a game, and its great fun 90% of the time - but that last 10% is torture. Debugging isnt fun. But at least its my rotten code...

Ive converted arcade games to home computer platforms, and from one home computer to another but most of the time I didnt have the original source - and Im glad I didnt. It was all about approximation and getting the feel right.

I would have no idea where to start on an emulator.

I just like writing games. And the GP2X platform suits the way I like to write . Ive written in ActionScript, Dark Basic, Blitz Basic. All while all of those platforms are fine Ive never written as much as I do for the GP2X. Maybe its C I like :lol:

What keeps you at it?

When I'm interested in something, I can code till the cows come home ;)

Part of interest is challenge aspect "Can I do X?", and part is the thinking about something "What happens if...?".

Yes, I've ported a number of emu's, but since I don't actually play them myself, they don't last very long before I get bored with them.

MMU Hack was a "What is the upper memory configuration and what would happen if it were the same attributes as the lower memory configuration?" for example.

What keeps you at it?

The fact that I don't keep at it. I get sick of things if I work on them non-stop for too long, but going away and doing something totally different generally gets me enthused again.

Squidge said:
When I'm interested in something, I can code till the cows come home ;)

Part of interest is challenge aspect "Can I do X?", and part is the thinking about something "What happens if...?".

Yes, I've ported a number of emu's, but since I don't actually play them myself, they don't last very long before I get bored with them.

MMU Hack was a "What is the upper memory configuration and what would happen if it were the same attributes as the lower memory configuration?" for example.
I think I know what you mean, once youve solved the big problem it quickly becomes, not boring, but not a challenge anymore.

Orkie said:
What keeps you at it?

The fact that I don't keep at it. I get sick of things if I work on them non-stop for too long, but going away and doing something totally different generally gets me enthused again.
I could imagine that on the sort of projects you two guys work on. I think thats why I do the sort of thing I do. Short and simple. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
GP2X coders all have addicoitn problems. Get interested, work to death on it until something else catches fancy, and then you switch and go nuts on that.

I know I'm an insomniac, that helps ;)

jeff

I just like coding, preferably C++, but a lot of ports I've done are C. For me it's the development that's interesting - I don't play games much and the built-in e-book reader is the application I use the most.

I don't really have much imagination so I'm always looking for ideas for projects (like from the "cool ideas and wishes" forum :)) but if I haven't got a current project, I go back to the old ones to do those improvements I've always been meaning to do.

I try to look for things that are not too much effort - I develop as a job and I've been coding for nearly 30 years but the GP2X as rekindled some of my original enthusiasm I felt when I started.

For someone who doesnt play a lot of game thats an impressive back catalog ;)

But yea, Im no hardcore gamer either (I think I peaked with my mediocrity at Unreal Tournament).

Back