Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Go on then here is your Dreamcast +7

• Total voters

mattmagoo posted on Sep 12 2004 at 05:05 PM said:
the main reason i like the GC is because they thought about the controller

the analogue PS2 controller has to be the most poorly designed piece of arse since the virtual boy controller
The ps2 controller is the best imo. The gamecube one is deffinately more ergonomic, but it's a poor layout for many games (especially first person shooters).

Last edited by a moderator:
Dozer posted on Sep 12 2004 at 06:27 PM said:
mattmagoo posted on Sep 12 2004 at 05:05 PM said:
the main reason i like the GC is because they thought about the controller

the analogue PS2 controller has to be the most poorly designed piece of arse since the virtual boy controller
The ps2 controller is the best imo. The gamecube one is deffinately more ergonomic, but it's a poor layout for many games (especially first person shooters).

i think thats due to laziness on the developers part

if you play wind waker te controlls are perfect, but if u play a game designed for the PS2 its not as nice

we can all agree that the PS2 controller has the worst D-Pad ever

Huxley posted on Sep 12 2004 at 01:57 PM said:
I voted for GP32. IMHO the DC has never really been 'under rated' because it achieved critical acclaim accross the board, sold millions of units and is still loved as much today as it was in 1999.

If anything it's over rated...
You are wrong. When it came out it got poor reviews and sold badly. It is loved today by computer geeks, but anybody who is B) plays on a PS2

It had very few games which shows it was unsuccessful, and it wasn't around for long. The reason it has survived is because it is fantastic.

In conclusion it was rately badly but is great, ergo it is underrated.

I think then xbox and ps2 are tied for exclusives, at least for my taste. I'm not much of an RPG fan and Sega's exclusives on the Xbox rock. I love me some PDO, GUNVALKYRIE, JSRF etc. The only reason I say the PS2 ties regarding exclusives is that is has so damn many of them.

If only the DC still existed commercially. I wish everyone had the same taste as me, then I'd be sorted :p

LHC posted on Sep 12 2004 at 09:26 PM said:
You are wrong. When it came out it got poor reviews and sold badly. It is loved today by computer geeks, but anybody who is B) plays on a PS2

It had very few games which shows it was unsuccessful, and it wasn't around for long. The reason it has survived is because it is fantastic.

In conclusion it was rately badly but is great, ergo it is underrated.

No, you are wrong. It was very well recieved by the press and didn't sell *badly*, Sega just couldn't shift enough units to cover their costs. Still sold millions.[

Mosch posted on Sep 12 2004 at 11:48 AM said:
DaveC posted on Sep 12 2004 at 06:25 AM said:
Mosch posted on Sep 12 2004 at 03:54 AM said:
The Gamecubeis definitely underrated. Nintendo still has the kidie image, and it does not seem anyone wants to admit to liking something produced by a "kiddie company". Eternal Darkness is the game I see as the best horror game EVER. Viewtiful Joe might have Cell Shaded cutie graphics but is still a great game. Mario Kart is THE Party Game. The Gamecube got a remake of Skies of Arcadia.
I never wanted to be cool, I just wanted a great console with great games, and I have found one in the gamecube. It is sturdy too, unlike the PS2. I'm not going into console fanboy wars - I *know* I have the best one currently available ;)

As for potential that was not reached, Virtual Boy, definitely. It is a great gadget, just suffers from the poor number of games.... there are endless possibilities with the 3D (Red Alarm is SO GOOD), sadly it flopped....

As for the GC image as a kiddy box well it IS a kiddy system for the most part. They can't seem to pry themselves away from Mario, Donkey kong and friends and Pokemon. Mascot games are ALL Nintendo releases! "great games" is all opinion. I have a Cube and I don't like 95% of their games. The graphics are mostly the same as PS2 stuff with a higher framerate sometimes. It is a number 2 system in terms of power, hardly the "best one".

I think the Xbox is underrated. It is number 3 in sales but no. 1 in power. Just look at Riddick, Halo 1&2, Ninja gaiden, Fable, Doom3, and more that use bump mapping and normal mapping to make textures look like a pre-rendered video. Plus the per pixel lighting and shadowing makes stuff look almost real.

The PS2 is the weakest hardware with the poorest framerate, severe aliasing in most games, low res blurry textures, longest load times, simple lighting model, no bumpmapping. But hey it is no. 1 by a landslide. Add the GC and Xbox sales together and triple it and still doesn't come close to Sony.

I have all of the systems so I just know what I like. I am not a "party game" fan so I guess that is why the GC doesn't do much for me. I am a solo gamer.

Out of the ones on the list I think the Lynx was the most underrated one. At the time its competition was the smeary piss yellow screened gameboy that you had to be directly under the sun at noon on a sunny day to even see the gamescreen. The Lynx had hardware sprite scaling and all kinds of awesome effects and was even backlit.

Kiddie system, yes and no. There are children that play child's games, teenagers who waved child games goodbye and concentrate on more violent or adult games, and then there are people like me who don't give a rat's ass if the game was made for eight year olds. At the end of the day, I play games that were obviously programmed for the younger target group just because I like the games. Why is Mario viewed as a "child only" character? Because he doesn't do drugs, has no real background and is not lost in a "film noir" world? Should I not play a pokemon game I like for its gameplay because the characters are cuddly little child's toys?
And as I couldn't care less for graphics or processing power in a console, I am not going to comment on the power of the system, that may well be.
And that comment about the best was of course going to provoke. It only works on a personal basis, but anyone who couldn't see that is hardly fit to join in a discussion about it ;) Fact is, there is one game series on the PS2 I would like to play (Final Fantasy) and nothing on the XBOX that interests me (I am talking only about the exclusive games here), so for me the Cube is the best console ;)

And I am not really a party gamer either - but sometimes a game of Mario Kart makes the mood rise like nothing else. Four players, 2 vs 2, play it with a drunken marine soldier, a death metal fan and a mathematics student and the fun never stops :D

I don't see how you could be a gamer and say there is nothing on the Xbox that interests you. Maybe that is because you don't want to let it interest you. I like the Gamecube the least but I still like SOME of the games on it, just the lowest amount. To say that *nothing* on the Xbox is good are the words of a total Nintendo fanboi. Do you even have and play all of the systems? I do and I can't say that any of them have *nothing* that interests me, even though I may have a favorite.

I voted Gamepark just because it is the definition of underrated. Surprior to every other system at the time of it's release, and everybody failing to see this. That being said, it's probably not a product for everyone anyway.

I would actually like to mention Amiga CD32 too, since it actually was quite powerfull for the time. Although not only did the consumer not notice - but niether did the game developers. Read somewhere that the new gfx-chip of the CD32 actually never was used in any game other than Microcosm.
Most games released for this system was just amiga disk-games put on a CD instead. It probably wouldn't be able to hold it's distance anyway, since PSX was just around the corner and had 3D capabilities. But it WAS poewrfull.

Ooooh the CD32. That reminds me of the Commodore CDTV. AFAIK it was the worlds first CD based system (circa 1990). Looked nice too in a hifi kind of way. It was designed to go in a hifi cabinet instead of your CD player. Some of the software titles written for it wouldn't look too out of place today. The information type titles had video clips and sound bites animated how things worked etc. Well ahead of its time. The games were straight forward Amiga fair. ie Excellent for their day. Of course it flopped due to Commodores naff marketing (as usual)

CDTV info

BaDToaD posted on Sep 13 2004 at 07:27 PM said:
Ooooh the CD32. That reminds me of the Commodore CDTV. AFAIK it was the worlds first CD based system (circa 1990). Looked nice too in a hifi kind of way. It was designed to go in a hifi cabinet instead of your CD player. Some of the software titles written for it wouldn't look too out of place today. The information type titles had video clips and sound bites animated how things worked etc. Well ahead of its time. The games were straight forward Amiga fair. ie Excellent for their day. Of course it flopped due to Commodores naff marketing (as usual)

CDTV info

Yeah... I remember that one. A friend of mine got one back in the day - didn't appreciate back then... I would now. The only thing he had that could demostrate it's "power", was "Strip Poker 3" which featured strip animation... robot-style :)
I thought about bidding on one after I got my CD32. Why? Because it looks like a CD-player, got a keyboard (I haven't for my CD32), I can connect one of my extra disk-drives to it (got some somewhere) and I don't really play any AGA-games anyway... He also had a cool remote/gamepad for it :)

I have this CD with 200 ordinary (mostly) Amiga titles, which is permanently in the CD-drive - and thus only thing I bother to play on it. I think the menusystem is made for AGA-chipset, so I don't think the CD will work for a CD-TV... But otherwise it would probably be able to run the ordinary Amiga games.
You could probably make a similar CD for use on a CD-TV... somehow. I haven't quite understood the complicated process, of making a bootable CD for CD-TV/CD-32.... yet.

DaveC posted on Sep 13 2004 at 04:32 AM said:
I don't see how you could be a gamer and say there is nothing on the Xbox that interests you. Maybe that is because you don't want to let it interest you. I like the Gamecube the least but I still like SOME of the games on it, just the lowest amount. To say that *nothing* on the Xbox is good are the words of a total Nintendo fanboi. Do you even have and play all of the systems? I do and I can't say that any of them have *nothing* that interests me, even though I may have a favorite.

(Shortened the Quote ;))

Well, Nintendo Fan may be right. I like Nintendo consoles and I like the games you get for Nintendo consoles (not all of them, but you get the general idea). I may also have an interest in the Playstation becasue the PS2 has the new Final Fantasies and let's face it, Chrystal Chronicles sucks donkey balls :D BUT the XBOX has NO game that interests me and wouldn't be available otherwise. And that is the reason for not having all the consoles. I can not see why I should buy a console that has no game of interest for me, or why I should feverishly search for one to justify buying the console :D

Fact is, I only have a Gamecube and I think that is enough. First of all I'm not crapping money and made my choice. And also.... well, let's face it, I'm not (yet?) crapping money FULL STOP.

Oh, one last paragraph: I didn't say nothing on the XBOX is good. I said nothing on it interests me (and why should anyone give a flying fuck what I am interested in?). I think Halo is a boring piece of shit (played it on the PC though), but I gladly admit that is a technically well-done game and I can understand how some people have fun with it. BUT if you want to prove me wrong, give me some names and I will tell if it interests me or not ;) Quite sure we both don't need to prove anything though :D

I also have all three systems now and think they're all great. The game I'm waiting for most is Fable on the Xbox though *drools*

Back on topic I voted for the Sega Saturn. I still really want to get another one of these beauties but the last two I got off ebay looked like the postman had been playing keep-ups with them. I have a Japanese one as well but after thirty minutes play the controller ports no longer work grr.

Back