More News From Me

No. I doubt a NES emu or SMS takes 200MHZ... DrSMS works in... 60MHZ?

How about a SNES, Megadrive or NeoGeo emu? Those need all of the power they can get.

It would be nice if it could dynamically change the clock speed based on settings within the emu. For example, since I mostly play turn-based RPGs on the SNES, it would make perfect sense to turn frameskip to 2 or 3. If the emu was well optimized, there's no reason it would need full CPU power at those settings (for a turn based RPG at least).

Or, a menu option to change the clock frequency yourself would be nice =)

-OCA|

Last edited by a moderator:
I appologize if I came accross rudely. Well if it has been reported white powder is coming off them that doesnt sound the best. Its true some oxides can have an effect, one just would not expect it on something manufactured new. I would guess it depends on the metal used at its tendancy to corrode. (form oxides).

I guess I'd be up for it too if it were true. Just a tip Id probably open up the thing and clip some jumpers directly to the board to test it rather than scratch away at it first.

Speaking as a Steel Fabricator, all non-inert (not gold) metals form oxides in the presence of oxygen.
As a matter of fact, almost instantaneously. The oxides themselves conduct electricty at about 85 to 90 % of the parent metal/alloy. The only time they don't is in the case of oxides which expand in size, such as iron oxide, rust. This is because of extra space between the molecules ( no direct path for the electricity to flow easily)

Short translation, unless you see a fuzzy coating on the terminals, electron flow is not going to be impeded.

So it definitely isn't corrosion on the terminals causing this. If the reports of a white substance are correct, it's most likely something added to the material during manufacture.

You can blame this post on one to many metallurgy classes :p

Well, if you overclock your GP32 to over 200 MHz, batteries also won't last long.

Processing power needs battery power, so you need to take batteries with you in this case.

BTW: PSP with 333MHz SNES emulator also just runs 3-4 hours for me... but I only have one battery for it and need to recharge it, where I can have more batteries ready for my gp2x :)

If you are running an emulator though you will need full 200 MHz speed. So for emulation the battery life will be exceedingly poor. Good thing I still have my GP32 BLU :)

LOL battrey life didn't bother you as much when it was about the PSP.

I sure hope the battery charge indicator on the GP2X works well, because I lose a lot of progress in some games very often because I didn't save for a while and then the batteries run low. :-/

I think I remember reading about the charge indicator, are there any confirmed facts about it available already?

Likewise... battery life was one of the biggies in making me decide to go for the 2x early - I was assuming the video-playing capabilities were using the processors to a good whack of their ability, suggesting a 6 hour at 200MHz vs the GP32's 3 hour or so if overclocked that far...

Bit annoyed, I must say, if that turns out to be completely inaccurate...

my guess about the battery terminals is somthing similar as when you solder to a pvb or somthing, mebe when they attached the batt terminals flux fumes or somthing attackd to it, gives it a almost waxy clear coating that conducts poortly and can be scraped off, of couse i have no idea but , it could be somthing similar, just an effect of manufacture or somthing

Well, you won't need full processing power for watching videos.
And 3 hours with 2*200 MHz AND backlight isn't that bad for a start (from only 2AA batteries)

Dryer Lint said:
IIRC, the BLU was supposed to last around 4 hours on regular emulating duty, more or less (light on).

Mine lasted ~8 hours at mostly full speed with good 2500mAh batteries.

For a start, these reports of low battery time may be using lower charge batteries.

And when the firmware is fixed, many things will run at under 200mhz (and definitely less than *2* x 200mhz) so expect battery life to be just as good as a BLU.

One of the biggest complains I read has been short battery life (about 2hours with 2500mAh batteries). There seems to be a work around, which is if you scratch off battery connectors a little bit, it would make it more efficient. The theory is that there is some sort of coating on those connectors that was blamed for the inefficiency.

According to the latest clearification, the above "solution" had no realistic basis. So, please just ignore that, and you have my appology for this incorrect report.

I promise I won't bring any more bad news; I'll only deliver good news. :) On the good side, did you guys know that you can change the background on the main menu simply by swappng bitmap files?

AWESOME! just change background colors or the entire image? awesome either way!

Back