More Info On Contests For The N00b Plz

mplsfunk

Still Fresh
My first and only GP32 is one of the new variety.. so I'm still a virgin to the entire experience, even though I have the unit sitting right here. (played some mp3s.. might load up Frodo if I get desperate enough to actually PLAY something; Dungeon & Guarder is a joke..) The recent LCD conundrum has led me to wonder some things about contests that seem to be semi-frequently held, when a chunk of software needs some sort of motivation to get off the ground.

1. What are the normal prizes for such a contest..?
2. Is one person typically responsible for an entire project..?
3. In anyone's loose opinion.. are contests justifiable efforts to get at least the more popular BLU+ emulators up to speed with the rest of the universe? Or is it best to just wait for individuals to take the initiative?

Oh.. and while I'm more than willing to entertain the fact that I've probably posted a question to something that's been answered a quadra-billion times.. I'll only ask that you have pity on me because this is my first post here. (bad excuse.. but the search wasn't helping in this case..)

might load up Frodo if I get desperate enough to actually PLAY something

You sound as though you made a bad purchase. From what i gather from these boards, People here don`t need to be desperate to enjoy themselves. Too each his own, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Trooper

mplsfunk posted on Dec 29 2004 at 04:35 PM said:
My first and only GP32 is one of the new variety.. so I'm still a virgin to the entire experience, even though I have the unit sitting right here. (played some mp3s.. might load up Frodo if I get desperate enough to actually PLAY something; Dungeon & Guarder is a joke..) The recent LCD conundrum has led me to wonder some things about contests that seem to be semi-frequently held, when a chunk of software needs some sort of motivation to get off the ground.

1. What are the normal prizes for such a contest..?
2. Is one person typically responsible for an entire project..?
3. In anyone's loose opinion.. are contests justifiable efforts to get at least the more popular BLU+ emulators up to speed with the rest of the universe? Or is it best to just wait for individuals to take the initiative?

Oh.. and while I'm more than willing to entertain the fact that I've probably posted a question to something that's been answered a quadra-billion times.. I'll only ask that you have pity on me because this is my first post here. (bad excuse.. but the search wasn't helping in this case..)

1. None of them are normal ;)
2. Yep.
3. The emulators themselves are of the latest version...But I get what you mean.
I'm guessing a program doesn't really qualify for a contest if the only new feature
is "BLU+" compatibility

It's an ok question that really hasn't been asked before...

Last edited by a moderator:
trooper posted on Dec 29 2004 at 07:42 PM said:
might load up Frodo if I get desperate enough to actually PLAY something

You sound as though you made a bad purchase. From what i gather from these boards, People here don`t need to be desperate to enjoy themselves. Too each his own, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Trooper

ah.. try not to read so literally into my statement.. what I meant by that was, C64 isn't my favorite system to emulate.. and more over wasn't my A#1 reason for purchasing the unit. (I don't hate C64.. it's just not on top of my priority list..) .. or to put shortly, I was exaggerating slightly in my implication that I wouldn't have any fun playing C64 games. Perhaps more explanation than needed.. I just don't wanna look picky towards something that I'm not. hehehe..
;)

and thankee for replying so fast..

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, Just read it as it was written, What with one positive (mp3`s) and 3 negative (c64 emulation, D&G and Blu+) points mentioned in the first couple of sentences of your first post, It seemed as though you were not happy with your purchase. Maybe you should try out some of huge amount of other software and games available though other emulators, just a thought.

Trooper

that's what I intend to do in the mean-time.. but I figured it was far too routine a thing to mention, crawling about finding things to do with the system, that I didn't bother even mentioning it. You shouldn't assume so much about my feelings regarding my choice in the purchase, as I've not really complained about anything but D&G.. only asked questions.

If I griped, I would be denying the eventual hold this contraption is soon to have over my soul.

I agree, some more info if you have it please!

1) What coding contents are there likely to be over the coming year?
2) Who/which systems are they open too?
3) What are generally the prizes?
4) Are they worthwhile (the contest I mean, not the prizes).

Back