Mipdf 1.0 Rc2 Released (f100 / F200)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
José Manuel Ferrer Ortiz has updated is fast PDF Viewer for the F100 / F200.

New in this release:

- Reduced batteries consumption when being idle, because the application no longer does busy waiting for events.
- Slightly faster zooming, since I removed a redundant page reload that was only needed when changing pages.
- Zooming now recalls the position on text it was displaying, so it doesn't return to the upper left corner of the page after each zoom change.

Download: MiPDF 1.0 RC2

Nice! Since Xpdf for the GP2x wasn't my cup of tea since it's not natively written for the GP2x this program is really sweet: Fast and small! Some things I would see in the next release:
1. A status line at the bottom that indicates when MiPDF is working (e.g. reading a new page)
2. Maybe a little menu instead of Selector, AFAIK the DrMDx menu is open source.
3. Overclocking option.
4. Using Craigx RAM-timings and the MMU hack to speed things a little bit up.
5. "Go to page" option.
This would be all for now.. ;) Oh, MiPDF seems to have some problems with "wide" PDFs (when a page is as wide as two DIN A4 sheets), the output is shrunken.
I'm really looking forward to a new version!

Tested MiPDF a little bit more and it seems to get more unstable the bigger the PDF file is. It would be nice to have a keypress feature, e.g. when pressing one of the directional buttons should the view scroll unless the buttons is released.

QuasaR said:
Nice! Since Xpdf for the GP2x wasn't my cup of tea since it's not natively written for the GP2x this program is really sweet: Fast and small! Some things I would see in the next release:
1. A status line at the bottom that indicates when MiPDF is working (e.g. reading a new page)
2. Maybe a little menu instead of Selector, AFAIK the DrMDx menu is open source.
3. Overclocking option.
4. Using Craigx RAM-timings and the MMU hack to speed things a little bit up.
5. "Go to page" option.
This would be all for now.. ;) Oh, MiPDF seems to have some problems with "wide" PDFs (when a page is as wide as two DIN A4 sheets), the output is shrunken.
I'm really looking forward to a new version!
You can compense some of this points with GMenu 2X. ;) RAM-timings, overclocking etc... I even have used the Gmenu Selector so I can pick up .pdf files within Gmenu2X and then the reader loads them, very nice menu feature. :)
Some PDF files seem to have the wrong aspect ratio but nothing serious, just to much stretched. I've never tried a PDF reader onto my GP2X before but it's good that this format works onto the handheld. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tested this version of MiPDF with four rather large PDFs. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to read any of them.
1 opened to a black screen,
2 dumped me straight back to the main menu.

The other 2 were more successful.

3 showed the title page and the next page fine, but then crashed when I tried to view the third page.
4 showed the first page fine but crashed when I tried to zoom in.

I know this is a tough problem to work on, and I am glad you are working on it. I hate to give bad news but I guess you'd like to know. To be honest, I was quite impressed that it got as far as it did.

I was testing on a GP2X f100. If you would like copies of the pdfs I am trying to read I'll send you them.

I've had a little tinker and works fine with me using small PDF files. But I haven't put it through it's paces to see what it can actually handle. :unsure:

I only tested some small PDF, 1MB maximum. It takes some seconds if you zoom but scrolling and page flipping is OK.
The Main problem is the small GP2X Screen. If you want to read the fonts, you usualy have to zoom in and then you always have to scroll from left to right and back to read everything. I'm sure onto the Pandora such a PDF reader makes much more sense. :)

Back