Microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

zertilus

Still Fresh
Does this Pandora device already have a microphone? If not, it might be a good idea, since a lot of other devices have one. That, and a camera. That has also been a popular hardware in a lot of things (DSi).

i believe it will have a microphone. in my personal opinion, a camera is quite useless. if you want to take a picture, use a camera. also, the design right now is probably the final one and won't have any major changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad. Maybe in an update sometime in the future. Good it has a mic though.

I don't understand why people want to put crappy cameras in everything. You don't really need one, and if you REALLY want one, there are tons of crappy cheap usb ones you can clip on that you can probably get for 5 bucks on ebay.

"Too bad. Maybe in an update sometime in the future. Good it has a mic though."

no it's not, I really hate cameras. They're useless for asocial people like me, and integrated ones don't really have the quality to justify their existence.

Maybe in an update, or maybe you can plug a USB camera in.

>_>
I mean, that might work.

Or a designated "Works with Pandora" USB stick-shaped camera. I mean, we have the most well-connected handheld in existence here, why not use a USB port and make the camera optional?
That way you can keep using the original hardware AND have a camera.

Yeah, I like the microphone. If the battery life is 8 hours at a high CPU load, it shouldn't be too hard to record audio for 8 or 9 or 10 hours at a time, with other stuff disabled and a good buffering scheme, to avoid frequent flash writes.

edit: Now I'm excited again because there's so many things the Pandora can do, AND it has a USB port for extensions like a mouse, keyboard, joystick, camera, 3G radio, AM/FM radio, mass storage....

I can't wait.

Yeah, this obsession with putting cameras on everything pisses me off. It all burns down to, trying to find a laptop that dosen't have a crappy cheap camera staring at me 24/7. It took me quite a while to actually find one.

'Zertilus' said:
Too bad. Maybe in an update sometime in the future.

This isn't a Gizmondo :p ;)

If you want a camera, you can add it yourself easily enough. There's a USB port and SDIO available for that. You can then spend however much you want rather than a crappy "lowest cost" camera permanently attached.

'Butterman' said:
Yeah, this obsession with putting cameras on everything pisses me off. It all burns down to, trying to find a laptop that dosen't have a crappy cheap camera staring at me 24/7. It took me quite a while to actually find one.
What bothers me slightly more is the wedge-shaped trend and the Macbook-style hinge trend.
Wedges don't fit into anything well, and they look stupid. I like boxes.
And putting the hinge on the back makes it look weird.

That's also why I love the Pandora: It looks like my laptop, but smaller.

Keep in mind the DSi has a suck camera. My phone's camera outranks it by so much. Also, you could just transfer pictures from a camera/phone as easily as you could onto any other computer.

'Username' said:
Keep in mind the DSi has a suck camera. My phone's camera outranks it by so much. Also, you could just transfer pictures from a camera/phone as easily as you could onto any other computer.
That's one thing that I was wondering about actually..

Is it possible to view a mobile phones camera via bluetooth?

I know that none can do it yet (or none that I know of anyway), but wouldn't it be possible via software/firmware update if a company decided it would be useful?

I think a better option then USB is just a camera that uses SD cards, that way you have a good dedicated device that you can just pop the card out of to use the content on the pandora.

Still, I'm glad for both the MIC and the lack of built-in camera.

'Tripmonkey_uk' said:
That's one thing that I was wondering about actually..

Is it possible to view a mobile phones camera via bluetooth?

I know that none can do it yet (or none that I know of anyway), but wouldn't it be possible via software/firmware update if a company decided it would be useful?
I don't think that bluetooth has enough bandwidth to stream real time video at any useful resolution, so it can't probably be useful as a webcam.

Of course you can take still pictures with the phone and copy them on pandora via BT.

If you have wifi on the phone you may have a chance, but of course it will use more power and the phone may be locked to prevent the installation of the required software.

there was a topic a couple of months ago, someone did get video from his mobile phone camera to a device over bluetooth. Can't seem to find the thread though.

But i think when the Pandora is out, someone will try it and post about it

'Squidge' said:
If you want a camera, you can add it yourself easily enough. There's a USB port and SDIO available for that. You can then spend however much you want rather than a crappy "lowest cost" camera permanently attached.
By the same token, couldn't we have eschewed the gaming controls and let people attache their own favourite console controllers via USB? And the keyboard is looking pretty sub-par to me in recent months (not a "real" keyboard with proper keycaps etc) so wouldn't it be best to leave the keyboard out altogether and let people use a GOOD keyboard - their favourite - rather than use a crappy "lowest cost" rubber mat? I bet the speakers are nowhere near as good as my "HiFi" either, couldn't we just use our own speakers?

Somewhere there's a line., a point where OP had to stop adding in "stuff". But that doesn't mean IMHO that anything not already included is worthy of derrision.

A camera could be good for Pandora2 for things like vision-based control systems, object recognition, and stuff like that. I mean, it *could* be useful for new generations of games that use computer vision in interesting ways.

But I'd like to see Pandora2 have a built-in DLP projector, too, so ..

Yeah, but integrated webcams ARE worthy of derision. Because they're not really as useful as a keyboard, gaming controls, or a microphone.

edit:
torpor said:
"A camera could be good for Pandora2 for things like vision-based control systems, object recognition, and stuff like that. I mean, it *could* be useful for new generations of games that use computer vision in interesting ways."

Actually, I had the EyeToy for PS2 for that exact purpose. It was horrible. Never again.

'lulzfish' said:
Yeah, but integrated webcams ARE worthy of derision. Because they're not really as useful as a keyboard, gaming controls, or a microphone.
To people who want a keyboard or gaming controls or a microphone but not a camera. Note:- I jhave not specified webcam, and I'm not sure the original poster did either. I had a camera as part of my PocketPC... which died months ago and which the Pandora is supposed to replace. being that I carried my PocketPC with me everywhere but did not carry my bulkier, higher quality stills camera (10mp) or digital camcorder everywhere I went, there were times when the PocketPC camera came in handy. Like at SouthEnd when my son was enjoying the amusements (and I hadn't tkaen my cameras to the seaside) for example. More than half of those shots were a waste of space, but the few that came out well would otherwise never have existed.

I have more worthwhile photographs from each of the crappy cameras we've had (including my first digital camera, which was a promotional freebie and therefore quite, quite dire) than all of the sound recordings made using the mics on the various MP3 players in this household over the years put together. A mic is way WAY down on the list for me - far, FAR below a camera.

A picture is worth a thousand words. It also takes less time to take one picture than it does to record a thousand-word description of what you're seeing.

yes, which is why a USB camera about the shape of a flash stick would be great. I think these exist, and they seem a lot more useful than an integrated one. I'd rather not bother with having one in the Pandora all the time, though.

I suppose in the end it's the dev team's choice, really. We'll have to wait and see. <_< It seems useful, but I just don't think it's useful enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back