Micro Usb-Wifi Support

jbmaster

Still Fresh
Hi~

Caanoo 1.6.0 firmware supports Buffalo (WLI-UC-GNM) micro USB-WIFI module.

We have tested several items.

1. wifi connection test ---> pass
2. QT Web broswer test ---> pass
3. Mame Network play (infra, ad-hoc) test ---> pass
4. Blood Cross Network play (infra, ad-hoc) test ---> pass :D

That looks like a great option - nice and unobtrusive.

torpor said:
Still waiting for WPA2 support for the *official* dongle, btw ..

The new firmware 1.6.0 supports WPA2 but only with passwords up to 25 characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really interesting! What chipset does it use? Asking myselves wheter the support is backported from newer kernels or just activated in that compile.

How good is area coverage? Friend of mine told me that those tiny WLAN dongles have an abyssmal driving strength (antennae related) and even tiniest obstructions can hamper signal badly. Did he exagerate in this point or does it apply.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1296928

5469766198_50fa7e8f4a.jpg

FCC Photos appear to show a Ralink RT8070V...
:)

Great! Seems actually a fairly new bit of hardware and the specs read fantastic. The internal 3 dbi antennae does not sound impressive but given the minimal casing its cool. Quite affordable too.

Drivers are available through rt2x00 linux driver:
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2010-October/002272.html
(the company seems also avid of releasing specs to linux developers according to self claim)

One thing staggers me: the post mentions a WiFI + BT Combo:

Comment from Ralink:
"RT8070 is our 802.11n plus Bluetooth COMBO, WiFi part is also
base on rt2870 chipsets"

I tried hard to verify this but i couldn't find any clear reference for this. But *if* it would be the case that would be just awesome! (given the cheapness that GPH demonstrates: not even integrating BT in both Wiz/Cannoo)

This old news - from old threads on here :rolleyes:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56003-what-wifi-dongles-work-for-the-caanoo/page__st__60

I reported ages ago that this adapter works ;)

StarG said:
Really interesting! What chipset does it use? Asking myselves wheter the support is backported from newer kernels or just activated in that compile.

How good is area coverage? Friend of mine told me that those tiny WLAN dongles have an abyssmal driving strength (antennae related) and even tiniest obstructions can hamper signal badly. Did he exagerate in this point or does it apply.

Yes, I modified Kernel Driver.

linux-2.6.24-pollux/drivers/usb/core/hub.c

//add
1174 #define RALINK_RT8070_VENDOR_ID (0x0411)
1175 #define RALINK_RT8070_PRODUCT_ID (0x01a2)
/*end*/

//add
1183 else if((udev->descriptor.idVendor == RALINK_RT8070_VENDOR_ID) &&
1184 (udev->descriptor.idProduct == RALINK_RT8070_PRODUCT_ID)) {
1185 ret_val = 1;
1186 }
/*end*/

fettouhi said:
torpor said:
Still waiting for WPA2 support for the *official* dongle, btw ..

The new firmware 1.6.0 supports WPA2 but only with passwords up to 25 characters.
Too bad... There's an access point that I use that has a 64 digit WPA2 password.

Back