Metropolis Skin

Prothall

Hulloo - just patched together a skin for the GP2X (which I haven't yet received) using images from good ol' Metropolis, the genesis of every movie you've ever seen, even if you don't know it. It's available on the GP2X File Archive(uploading is giving me troubles, post it in two shakes)I've only uploaded backdrops, as I don't feel up to the task of messing with all those little icons and they work as is. I will likely make similarly styled alternatives in Inkscape soon enough, but anyway, the things that have stumped me are:

· Are the holes in the test screen necessary? Aren't the button pictures made with transparent backgrounds and laid on top of the backing?
· Is the error where the movie screen shows up in the photo section one unique to the skin viewer, or does the 2X do that too?
· Do the redundant bitmaps in some sections have a point?
· What's the best way to go about replacing the battery images and Audio Player screens?

That about covers my technical questions.

Now I claim bragging rights as first to make a monochrome skin and artsy skin.

And I beg your criticisms.

And a proverbial cookie to first to name the font I use.

Thank you.

Since the GP2X file archive hates either myself, my ISP, or Opera, I've taken the step of uploading it to my own server, which should be fine so long as I don't get Slashdotted.

Linky linky linky-o:
http://www.theelectricapparatus.com/Metrop...by_Prothall.zip

(I HATE BBCode.)
-----
Damn you're zippy, Minkoff!

In any case, about the time Kasablanca, moving with the haste of the great Mammoth in slow-motion, finished putting it on my server the GP2X File Archive took it into its warm bosom. If you prefer that server, please utilize the link below:

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,1,0,0,52,905
-----

I now commit the unforgivable sin of the triple-post to add pictures for those too lazy to use the skin-viewer:

mainmet2x.png

Main Screen

movmet2x.png

Movie Screen

expmet2x.png

Explorer Screen

EDIT: Condensed into single post.

Skin viewer? whaa??? Where can I get this? Shall I check the wiki? if it's not there, can someone post a link to it?

ok I get the custom skin thing... but what's that .gpu file in there for? Couldn't you just change everything manually through NAND? (I don't have a GP2X)

the GPU file controls what files are read (so they don't really all have to be body.png, if that bothers you too much) and can, I believe, relocate things on the screen. Also, I believe access to the NAND is severely limited. Thus, there's a handy utility you can easily run that will switch things for you.

Back