Media needs to back off Lance Armstrong

Phelsumania

Blokes been caught and admitted cheating he's had all his medals and titles stripped. He was a naughty boy.  However as a result of his cheating he's raised £450 million for cancer research so f it. I would welcome more people to blood dope and what not if its raising that kind of cash for medical research and charity. The blokes still done the world a hell of a service

I think we need to understand that doping is good.. I want a transhumanism Olympics!

Let people take drugs, install robotic limbs, swap a heart with a horses and see how far we can push the human body.. GO LANCE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Blokes been caught and admitted cheating he's had all his medals and titles stripped. He was a naughty boy.  However as a result of his cheating he's raised £450 million for cancer research so f it. I would welcome more people to blood dope and what not if its raising that kind of cash for medical research and charity. The blokes still done the world a hell of a service
 Would you use the same argument for Jimmy Savile? He may well have done more good than harm, but that is no real defense IMHO. Not saying that child abuse is in any way comparable to cheating at sport but the general point that a moral code cannot be based on the premise of 'he did more good than bad'.

I think we need to understand that doping is good.. I want a transhumanism Olympics!

Let people take drugs, install robotic limbs, swap a heart with a horses and see how far we can push the human body.. GO LANCE!
I agree completely, bet the viewing figures would be astronomical for the 'anything goes' Olympics.

I'm confused. Are the media your way now saying that he didn't raise that money?

Bloke cheated, lied, pressured his colleagues/employees into self-injury and further cheating and lying, was caught, lied some more, was caught lying, and continued to lie long after anyone would believe him.

If the media are now tearing into him, it's because as the former God of Health and Clean Sports he is a juicy target. But keep in mind he didn't become that target by accident. He worked hard to place himself on that particular pedestal, and most of all that fraud and deception served the purpose of getting there.

True, raising money for science is cool, and sports results don't really matter. This doesn't change that the he's a fraud, and a person about whom this is interesting to point out in public. Media, full steam ahead as far as I'm concerned.

I'm confused. Are the media your way now saying that he didn't raise that money?

Bloke cheated, lied, pressured his colleagues/employees into self-injury and further cheating and lying, was caught, lied some more, was caught lying, and continued to lie long after anyone would believe him.

If the media are now tearing into him, it's because as the former God of Health and Clean Sports he is a juicy target. But keep in mind he didn't become that target by accident. He worked hard to place himself on that particular pedestal, and most of all that fraud and deception served the purpose of getting there.

True, raising money for science is cool, and sports results don't really matter. This doesn't change that the he's a fraud, and a person about whom this is interesting to point out in public. Media, full steam ahead as far as I'm concerned.
Sounds like you believe everything the media says ;)

I don't see why people really care about what he did.. I couldn't care the slightest. I have more important things to worry about!

Sounds like you believe everything the media says ;)

I don't see why people really care about what he did.. I couldn't care the slightest. I have more important things to worry about!
No I'm believing everything he admitted, everything MANY witnesses have admitted and seen/heard.

Lance is not a good guy. He was mean, rude, hurt people on purpose.

He sued people for defaming his character knowing full well he WAS LYING . He destroyed peoples careers and lives to be vindictive when he knew he WAS LYING !

He raised money. That makes everything he did fine ?   Poor reasoning.  Nothing you do good JUSTIFIES doing bad things. If you change it can help to make up for wrong conduct but it NEVER JUSTIFIES it. 

So he's your average psychopath. 

also, you can't ask him to return his models.... because the guy who came second, third, fourth and fifth were all doping too.

The other point is.. its not that he lied, and got all this money for cancer (ignoring all the money he got for himself based on dishonesty.) Its he also destoyed many other peoples lives.. theres an opportunity cost there. What coudl _those guys_ have achieved without ever have been stomped by him... and coudl they have won? Even if the money never came to charity as it did.. it still existed, it was used somewhere; maybe other charities.

No, its not great to start wars to spur up your manufacturing industry; you weigh things on their own merits :)

Lance was a hero to many, so he has a long way to fall; clearly he's a bit of a sociopath.

jeff

Who cares ? In litature class today we were asked to compare the difference between the Heros of epics and modern athletes . I wrote at least the fictonal Heros contributed something to their society's whereas modern athletes contribute nothing . Well actually they keep the wallets of tabloid writers full .

he is guilty for sure, that at least is clear... it would just be better if people stop tracking single guys like him and reform the whole system... seen they have to give his medal to someone who arrived eight cause all the previous one were also dopped. he didn't win because he was dopped he won because he was better than the other similary dopped people, that at least is clear. all this mediatic reports on armstrong will just serve to hide the problems of the system once more.

There's a problem with top sports in general: there's so much money involved that sportsmanship and fair play are essentially gone. Once a sport is big enough to have professional players, the problem starts: these players don't have a day job to fall back on, they're not doing the sport for fun or as a hobby, but as a profession. This means they don't just want to win because of their competitive spirit, but they also need to win enough games just to keep their job. They're not even paid per hour (as in nearly any other profession), their pay directly correlates to their prestations.

In this system, all top sporters have strong incentives to cheat, and if a few of them are cheating, the others have to follow if they want to be able to compete with the cheaters.

So I'm pretty sure that in nearly all big money sports, doping is a quite widespread phenomenon.

The media are of course right in condemning Lance Armstrong, but it's a much bigger problem than just this one guy, and the media themselves are part of the problem because they're the main commercial stakeholders in these sports.

Plus I don't think the media cares about Lance in particular , they just want to sell tabloids .

Medias are like any big company: money, money, money.

Even their political bias are based on the same three principles.

See?! Its unfair to call the media unprincipled - they've got four of them (I'll give you three guesses at what the fourth is)

I'm pretty sure the Sunday Times would like their £300k or £1.5million or whatever it was back...

Back