Mangled Firmware (broken Gp32)

T

tig

around a year ago, i went to ireland by plane. cool trip, lashings of fun, with one exception. when i first arrived in ireland, i'd noticed my gp32 started having problems with the smc, files started to disappear, games started glitching. for some stupid reason, i didn't think anything of it. you see, i'd had it in my hand lugage, and it had gone thru the scanning doofer. on the way back, the same thing.. only when i got home, rather then just glitching, the firmware was mashed. characters on the screen changing randomly, flickering etc.

the odd thing being, gplink (i think) still seems to be okay (i'll check again). i'm running gpbios, with gplink, gpdrive and the original firmware. the last two don't work at all.

my smc cards get scrambled if i try to use them, when it decides to actually run them. i've never used gplink so hence, i have no clue what to do with it. i've considered building a jtag cable, but can't aquire the parts.. so i'm out of idea's.

at this rate, i'll never use my gp32 again :/ (i'm currently relying on my psp for my homebrew fix). any help would be apprieciated, many thanks - tig.

If gplink is still working there is a way to send a firmware flashing .fxe to the gp32 and run it without having to use a SMC at all. I can't remember exactly how but just search around a bit and you might find the info... if not PM me and I'll try and remember how to do it. note that I'm quite busy as of late so my response time may be a little slow.

this scanner thing is the most annoying thing, especially these days because they require you to get the laptop/gadgets out of their bags and place them alone in seperate cases, few weeks ago I was asked to dis-assemble the laptop's battery for them to check alone (do they thing anyone would be crazy enough to hide bullets inside it?!), the craziest thing is that with all these precautions, you can still easily get anything you want on the plane only if you know one of those who work in the duty free shops.

If gplink is still working there is a way to send a firmware flashing .fxe to the gp32 and run it without having to use a SMC at all. I can't remember exactly how but just search around a bit and you might find the info... if not PM me and I'll try and remember how to do it. note that I'm quite busy as of late so my response time may be a little slow.

i think i figured it out..

i use unfxe to dump the .axf of the eurofirmware upgrade, run gplink, hook up the usb, run darkfaders pclink on the computer, and tell it to execute the axf file.. and hope?

im gonna try some random programs before i actually reflash..

many thanks, tig :D

Last edited by a moderator:

right.. i've tried.. *sigh*

it ran a few applications, but all the characters were still mangled.. and the firmware updater was all fuzzy, and crashed every time i tried it..

*gives up*

its dead :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back