Manga Reader

GuchaRU

Is there such software like "IMGview DS" (it's manga reader for nintendo DS).
So, I wonder how can I read manga on Pandora, coz standart image viewers not very comfortable for this task.

Sorry if it's alreade been asked before but I couldn't find anyting using search.

I tried Comix. It doesn't particularly work well for me. :\ Too bad CDisplay is not open source and the dev disappeared. -_-

-God Ginrai

:/

Don't make me write ANOTHER comic book reader. I already wrote one for the PSP.

(Also Comix is written in Python--interpreted, not compiled)

Don't make me write ANOTHER comic book reader. I already wrote one for the PSP.

(Also Comix is written in Python--interpreted, not compiled)

Phh, people can make whatever they like to suit their own needs. There already being many a unix like kernel didn't stop linux from writing the linux kernel. Unless you think your comic book reader has every feature that anyone could possibly want and the perfect interface... in which case you're just deluded (I've never used your comic reader, nor seen it, just perfect feature full but light programs don't exist, after a tad bit of research it certainly looks interesting though... I'll certainly try out a port when it comes). Discouraging people from doing what they want to just because you've done something similar just seems against the spirit of progress and the spirit of code. But I'll lay off now...

--edit-- and he wrote PSPComic by the way... according to a tad bit of googling to see what the feature set of his comic reader was...

Last edited by a moderator:
I uh...what? My comic reader has a pretty bad interface because it was made for something with gaming controls--not something with a mouse (or touch screen). I don't intend to port it to the Pandora. Its codebase is pretty awful, too. I wasn't nearly as good at programming when I wrote that as I am now. It already runs on Unix (seeing as I wrote it on Windows, then later Linux and basically made it compatible with the PSP), and it uses SDL 1.2, so it could be ported rather easily, but it's just a bad idea. SDL 1.3 deprecates most of the API that I use, and that's what the Pandora has, though. It would be better to port one that has a better interface and is more featureful. I was working with 24MB of RAM, mind you. I had a lot of limitations on what I could do. It would be better to start over. Or even better, use something like Comix, which already exists.
I was just making a little joke, really. I said don't make me do it, after all :p. I got fairly sick of working with that awful codebase after a year. Sure, it works. Just barely.

Me, I'll just use Comix. I rather like it. I even wrote up a patch that let shift-space work, but then I found out that there was already a patch for that in the CVS :p

Oh, also, I'm pretty sure that CDisplayEx uses the .NET framework, so it'll be a royal pain to port.

E] Somehow quoted something from a completely different topic. Fixed now.

I was just making a little joke, really. I said don't make me do it, after all :p. I got fairly sick of working with that awful codebase after a year. Sure, it works. Just barely.
Your since of humor will take me some time to adapt to... just a warning. With that being the first post of yours I've seen that I can recall I took it as serious. Mah bad.

--edit-- and here I thought the strange random out of topic quote was more humor... which was making your humor system... a tad more then unpredictable...

Sorry about that. I think I tried to quote that in a post a few weeks ago...and it just stuck for some reason until the next time I hit quote. Very strange :huh:

Anyway yeah, I'm already working on something else. It's not strictly for Pandora, but should work once I fix it up so it uses OpenGL ES, as it already uses SDL + OpenGL. I recently cleaned up the glVertex calls into glVertexArray, so that's a good first step, right? Now I have to change all GLdoubles to GLfloats :( Also tested it at 800x480 to see how well it ran, and it was definitely usable, with a few quirks. But it's still under active development nonetheless. And a game at that :) (Multiplayer only though, so you'll need internet to play--not exactly the MOST portable, alas)

But I digress. I think there are plenty of comic book readers for Linux, so we should be able to find ONE that works well. Like Comical, if we get wxWidgets.

Sorry about that. I think I tried to quote that in a post a few weeks ago...and it just stuck for some reason until the next time I hit quote. Very strange :huh:
Anyway yeah, I'm already working on something else. It's not strictly for Pandora, but should work once I fix it up so it uses OpenGL ES, as it already uses SDL + OpenGL. I recently cleaned up the glVertex calls into glVertexArray, so that's a good first step, right? Now I have to change all GLdoubles to GLfloats :( Also tested it at 800x480 to see how well it ran, and it was definitely usable, with a few quirks. But it's still under active development nonetheless. And a game at that :) (Multiplayer only though, so you'll need internet to play--not exactly the MOST portable, alas)

But I digress. I think there are plenty of comic book readers for Linux, so we should be able to find ONE that works well. Like Comical, if we get wxWidgets.

Prolly, but I've always been a fan of a the more the merrier mentality. As I see it if it sucks I just won't use it, easy enough for me. What I want is small screen optimized manga reader that pulls apart the panels on certain styles of comics and has various ways of putting them together to be easier to read based on the panel format (you would select the one that best matches the authors panel style). That's always been what I'd consider an interesting feature... if only so i could read mah yotsuba&! without having to scroll over to the right every page, then scroll left, then scroll right, then scroll down and rinse and repeat. In the least perhaps enough logic to allow me to start at a point and when i press a button have it automatically select the cell in the direction I want, and wrap around the page if I press in a direction not on the page. I've not seen anything that does anything close to that, but perhaps It's because I've not looked all that hard (nor do I have enough small screen devices that I read comics on). With the pandora the 800x480 is wide enough that It shouldn't matter with most comics anyway. But with my 2x lack of the feature (when i last tried to find a comic reader for it which was a long time ago) made me decide to just bring the actual manga with me. 320x240 is just... erm too small for reading manga without strange crap like that. Just some random theoretical feature I've wondered why no ones ever attempted to implement though.

I've heard of this gadget called paper its pretty easy to use, has a good resolution, its portable and nice to the eyes.
;"]

No way, is it also open source?[/quote]
Well it is open hardware but you'll need a factory to manufacturer it and the software on it is read only and that is closed source.

I've heard of this gadget called paper its pretty easy to use, has a good resolution, its portable and nice to the eyes.
;)

It's my preferred technology, minus 2 points, paper sucks for scantrans... and not much manga fits in my pocket. It's running at about 0 volumes. Though I always have a few volumes in my bag... but I don't always have my bag.

Well it is open hardware but you'll need a factory to manufacturer it and the software on it is read only and that is closed source.
Actually, someone recently made a hack, sometimes called "Whiteout" or "Liquid paper", that can erase previously written data. You can then use the "Pen" tool to overwrite the freed memory. Unfortunately you can't do it too often, as the system begins to get bogged down and potentially break up after too many rewrites.

Actually, someone recently made a hack, sometimes called "Whiteout" or "Liquid paper", that can erase previously written data. You can then use the "Pen" tool to overwrite the freed memory. Unfortunately you can't do it too often, as the system begins to get bogged down and potentially break up after too many rewrites.
I've heard you can use a "scanner" to recompile one of these paper files for a different architecture, and end up with a fully editable binary file for use in the gimp or photoshop.
Man we're nerds. :D

Back