Mame Rom Question?

Gekkonidae

Still Fresh
I finally got my Gp2X. Installed the latest mame. And none of my favorite Roms seem to be working. Has anyone gotten Zoo Keeper, Xevious or Gravitar working? I'm pretty sure they all from the .34 romset as well.

Thanks!

(Moving to the MAME forum)

I have Zoo Keeper and Xevious running fine, not sure about Gravitar ... just look for a .torrent for the 0.34 set :ph34r:

Getting the following error on Zoo Keeper..

Loading "Zoo Keeper (set 1)"...
zb12
Unable to open ROM
Error reading ROMS

I get errors all the time. Pang used to work but doesn't any more. Never got eswatbl to work, or fantasyzone, and I had the older romset that was recommended.

My only advice is to open up the clrmame file that comes with the emulator (with notepad) and see exactly what romsets should be in your zipped file. If they dont match then they probably wont work. Having said that i have some romsets that seem to be fine and still dont work.

Unfortunately, some new romsets just don't have the needed files for older versions of mame, so CLRMame is a no go.

What would be awesome would be if someone could find an original set of 0.36 mame roms somewhere.

nem posted on May 26 2006 at 02:11 PM said:
Unfortunately, some new romsets just don't have the needed files for older versions of mame, so CLRMame is a no go.

What would be awesome would be if someone could find an original set of 0.36 mame roms somewhere.

Have you tried to search mame gp32 or gp2x or mame4all on emule?

Last edited by a moderator:
Franxis posted on May 26 2006 at 04:40 PM said:
nem posted on May 26 2006 at 02:11 PM said:

Have you tried to search mame gp32 or gp2x or mame4all on emule?

Borderline grey area this, but yes I have. All of the ones that I have found were sets converted by CLRMame.

My GP2x should arrive soon. Can someone please tell me whether the rather obscure "Formation Z" game by Jaleco works on any version of MAME for GP2x? The game was called "Aeroboto" and distributed by Williams in countries other than Japan.

I don't know why, but this is one of my favourite games :) Probably because I'm a Transformers fan or something.

If not, it's not a huge deal, I'll try to find a NES/Famicom ROM then and hope that that one works on a NES emulator on the GP2x. I'd prefer the original arcade version though.

The full versions of romsets available are often no good, for instance .34 and .36. I have both of those full romsets and since the GP2X version uses a lot of the .35bXX versions of games, they don't work for a lot of games. You basically have to get .34, .36 and run clrmamepro on both of those versions. This should generate a romset that is pretty close to complete. Then run it and check which ones come up with missing roms. You can find a set if you look hard enough that has the old roms in it, you note which ones are missing and go to that romset and just grab the ones you are missing. It's not that hard to assemble a working version of the roms if you just spend a few minutes and google/torrent search/etc.

My GP2x should arrive soon. Can someone please tell me whether the rather obscure "Formation Z" game by Jaleco works on any version of MAME for GP2x? The game was called "Aeroboto" and distributed by Williams in countries other than Japan.

I don't know why, but this is one of my favourite games :) Probably because I'm a Transformers fan or something.
Formation Z and Aeroboto *do* exist however they are marked as "Not Working".

This means they probably won't play - I haven't tried them directly - just looking at the source code.

Back