Making A .smc File...

BillyCoen

Still Fresh
(I premise that I don't have a gp32 and I don't know how it works)

For the emulator,i've downloaded the Make Smc program and I've some questions about it.

1st,When I try to put a snes rom or an image (jpg or bmp) it makes an error.Someone can say me why?(I put the emulator .fxe in the gpmm and it works,but the other files both in gpmm and gpetc they doesn't work).

2nd,The Make Smc program is required for the real gp32 or its only for the geepee32?

Thanks

1st. If you try and emulate and emulator on GeePee32 it will go at about 0 to 1 FPS. The emulators run at 133mhz to 166mhz for full speed (166 needed for SNES), GeePee32 runs at 40mhz, when running OS9x on GeePee32 it takes about 2 minutes just to load the menu, and the games run at less than 1 FPS. So dont expect to get much from that. The only games/apps you can play on the emulator are those written using 40mhz or lower (60mhz might work but they would be a bit slow). Regardless you wont get sound anyway, and lots of fileIO, memory access, etc.. doesnt work properly.

Also, why would you want to play an emulator on an emulator? Why not just download ZSNES or any other emulator for windows ?

Not to mention, you dont have a GP32, so unless you already purchased one and you are just fiddling arround with GeePee32, then you are illegally trying to emulate it. Go get the real thing.

2nd MAKE SMC is just for the emulator, which is used primary to test games in development, not to play games, and most definitly not to play emulators, we barely get full speed emulators on the real hardware, so expecting to get decent speed from an emulator within an emulator, is just too much to ask.

About the errors, do you mean in MAKE SMC? If so MAKE SMC errors ALOT on anything (buffer overruns etc...), just keep trying (dont change your files at all) and eventually it will make without errors. I get errors in MakeSMC about 1 out of every 3 times I use it. So just keep trying it it will eventually make a file and not error.

If you mean FreeLoader errors (the program that loads the games) then its simply because you have put a file in the GPMM folder that it doesnt like. Try not to put any files except fxe and gxe files in there, otherwise it will like to error. (it allows some files but many it does not, I dont know why)

For example, you put all your snes roms in the GPMM/SNES/ folder, not the GPMM folder.

If I remember right, makesmc.exe won't work for filenames other than the old 8.3 characters. Don't use spaces, and make sure they're short enough.

As I said, MakeSMC loves to buffer underun, 30 to 60% of the time, if you keep trying though, it eventually works, sometimes adding a file or removing a file will make it work when it otherwise wouldnt. The files you add or remove dont really matter so what I have done is create a folder with multiple files of different sizes and when MakeSMC errors, I simply remove (or move) one of these files and about 95% of the time the next time I run MakeSMC it will work perfect.

Back