Macintosh 68K Emulator For Pandora?

grobi

Still Fresh
Anybody caring to give this one a look?

Mini vMac on Sourceforge

Seems to be a mac emu being available as gpl sourcecode and already ported on pocket pc, which raises my hope to be essentially ARM compatible. As the mac 68k was quite useful running on a CPU with less than 100mhz, things could get really fun, given the rich software packages like MS Office for Mac, pagemaker, ragtime, hypercard and all kind of graphical design stuff.

Or is there already another mac 68k port project I'm unaware of?

Regards,
grobi

This seems like one of the Recompile type ports. It's probably mostly C and SDL, so it should just work out of the box. Maybe a more extensive port would optimize a blitter for the pandora or something.

paulguy said:
This seems like one of the Recompile type ports. It's probably mostly C and SDL, so it should just work out of the box. Maybe a more extensive port would optimize a blitter for the pandora or something.

Optimizing a blitter should be part of SDL's job AFAIK, so this one should automagically speed things up once SDL got optimized...

Nobody excited about this oportunity?

Last edited by a moderator:
There were enough 68k Mac guys around, that every community has a few of them; but there were not so many that theres a critical mass of them, I think -- for every device, theres always a couple people who want one of the Mac emus ported, but theres rarely a dev who has any personal attachment to dithered monochrome Macs :)

(You could always nab the Angstrom or Debian ARM one if around, and see about getting that to work.)

If it was a 'build and go', I might just try it for you for fun (ie: if it takes 10 mins.) But I see the page has some really nasty stuff on it about building .. I dunno if this is just nostalgia on te developers part, or if it has to be this way, but get this:

note: The "Build" application can also be run on a real 680x0 Macintosh, or in a different Macintosh 680x0 emulator besides Mini vMac, including Apple's emulator in Macintosh OS 9 and earlier for PowerPC, which in turn is available in the Classic environment available for Macintosh OS X on PowerPC computers. This might be useful if, for example, you don't have a Mac Plus ROM needed for the versions of Mini vMac provided on the download page, but do have a different supported ROM and want to compile a version of Mini vMac that will use it. (To access the build system files, you need to mount its disk image. See the Disk Image page.)

Now, as a serious ST wanker, I've built code in an ST emu, for the ST, and other tricks; but thats cause I love the ST. As I don't much care for old Macs, this sounds like way too much work for me I'm afraid :( (I did buy and later sell a couple old fishbowl Macs, and I have an OSX server in my basement farm for moder bulds though.. I like OSX, except for the part that says 'Apple' :)

jeff

skeezix said:
There were enough 68k Mac guys around, that every community has a few of them; but there were not so many that theres a critical mass of them, I think -- for every device, theres always a couple people who want one of the Mac emus ported, but theres rarely a dev who has any personal attachment to dithered monochrome Macs :)

(You could always nab the Angstrom or Debian ARM one if around, and see about getting that to work.)

If it was a 'build and go', I might just try it for you for fun (ie: if it takes 10 mins.) But I see the page has some really nasty stuff on it about building .. I dunno if this is just nostalgia on te developers part, or if it has to be this way, but get this:

note: The "Build" application can also be run on a real 680x0 Macintosh, or in a different Macintosh 680x0 emulator besides Mini vMac, including Apple's emulator in Macintosh OS 9 and earlier for PowerPC, which in turn is available in the Classic environment available for Macintosh OS X on PowerPC computers. This might be useful if, for example, you don't have a Mac Plus ROM needed for the versions of Mini vMac provided on the download page, but do have a different supported ROM and want to compile a version of Mini vMac that will use it. (To access the build system files, you need to mount its disk image. See the Disk Image page.)

Now, as a serious ST wanker, I've built code in an ST emu, for the ST, and other tricks; but thats cause I love the ST. As I don't much care for old Macs, this sounds like way too much work for me I'm afraid :( (I did buy and later sell a couple old fishbowl Macs, and I have an OSX server in my basement farm for moder bulds though.. I like OSX, except for the part that says 'Apple' :)

jeff

Thanks skeezix for the reply. Maybe as a ST guy, we will rather see a Mac-on-AtariST Port than this Mini vMac ;-)
(was it called Spectrum? I had such thing built right into my 1040F including two EPROMS for the basic MacOS)

skeezix said:

jeff
Basilisk II shouldn't be as complicated as that. :p
http://basilisk.cebix.net
http://gwenole.beauchesne.online.fr/basilisk2/downloads.html

I think this emulator is available for the iphone and the iphone is ARM right? It runs quite well on my iPod Touch 3Gen

There is always ShapeShifter, An Amiga M68k
Macintosh emulator, That runs at "Speed comparable to a real Mac with equivalent hardware"

I know it has been superseded by Basilisk II, But ShapeShifter may perform better or
worse, So it could still be an option.

Trooper

Back