Release LyX - WYSIWYM Document Processor - Release

S

StreaK

Whats this:

LyX is a document processor that encourages an approach to writing based on the structure of your documents (WYSIWYM) and not simply their appearance (WYSIWYG).

LyX combines the power and flexibility of TeX/LaTeX with the ease of use of a graphical interface. This results in world-class support for creation of mathematical content (via a fully integrated equation editor) and structured documents like academic articles, theses, and books. In addition, staples of scientific authoring such as reference list and index creation come standard. But you can also use LyX to create a letter or a novel or a theatre play or film script. A broad array of ready, well-designed document layouts are built in.

LyX is for people who want their writing to look great, right out of the box. No more endless tinkering with formatting details, “finger painting” font attributes or futzing around with page boundaries. You just write. On screen, LyX looks like any word processor; its printed output — or richly cross-referenced PDF, just as readily produced — looks like nothing else.

main_window.png

insert_menu.png

edit_menu.png

Download:

http://pnd.to/4floor [FB Wall]

Fantastic! I'll be sure to use this... :)

Now I just wish that January flies by so I can be re-united with my Pandora in early Feb.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

hi

how to go about getting document classes that seem to be missing?

a google search reveals that a TeX distro needs to be installed? what's best way to do this on Pandora?

cheers

Just downloaded and tried LyX. This is great, although I prefer to write LaTeX source code directly. But for rapid document generation, LyX is a great aid.

However, I also like to ask: How to install TeX/LaTeX?

I did an

opkg list | grep latex

but did not find something suitable in the feeds.

In a few days I meet my brother (this happens only once in a few years), who is a heavy TeX and LaTeX user, so it would be great if I could show him LaTeX on the Pandora :)

Preferably with something to generate PDF files from the output, not just DVI or PostScript...

Thanks,

Daniel

Ugh, I hate LyX.

It is really poor at handling manual LaTeX input and custom commands and environments. I prefer to write all my LaTeX code by hand, but I can see it being of use to some people.

What interests me though, is having a working LaTeX setup on the Pandora. Is one included?

By the way, some screenshots taken on an actual Pandora would be useful to give a better impression.

Oh. I assumed there was a LaTeX dist packed in, as LyX is not much use without. Ah well... :(

I am not sure, but can LyX be used without LaTeX / TeX installed, in order to generate .tex source files, which can be transfered to a system where LaTeX is installed for further processing?

However, it would be very nice to have LaTeX installed on the Pandora as well!

I have searched some more, but still didn't find any suitable package. Installation from source maybe? Has anyone tried this yet?

Daniel

I think there was some discussion about building it, but that leaded to nowhere.

You could search for it.

StreaK, how do you use LyX on the Pandora?

If you have LaTeX installed, how did you do it?

Daniel

Nope i was using Lyx as a "not so perfect" Open Office replacement. I dont like Abiword, so LyX was a logical choice for me.. i have not installed latex

Daniel

I got texlive for the Pandora (that is compiled to run in a PND from /mnt/utmp/texlive), but I can't get LyX to work with it. If you want to play with it, I can upload it.

Daniel

I got texlive for the Pandora (that is compiled to run in a PND from /mnt/utmp/texlive), but I can't get LyX to work with it. If you want to play with it, I can upload it.

Slaeshjag, try compile it with prefix=/mnt/utmp/lyx-app , maybe this time will be working with lyx [if lyx had a support for texlive]

I compiled lyx with the same prefix, and I'm not recompiling texlive. The only way I got it compiling in was using qemu, so it took 9 bloody hours :p

Hi slaeshjag,

I am also just trying to get TeX Live. Have successfully installed the system with "Medium" installation scheme (about 750 MB), but no binaries of course. Now I'm about to find out how to get the sources and compile on the Pandora.

What components / binaries does your PND contain?

pdfTeX would be the most important I think. Metafont may not be necessary, if only PostScript fonts are used.

What about generating symlinks to all files in the PND at their actual standard places, so LyX can simply access all the files it needs to access by looking in their standard places? This should be possible via the run script of the LaTeX PND package, but depending on the number of files, this could be quite cumbersome.

Please send the LaTeX PND to me. I'd like to play with it some more.

Thanks,

Daniel

I have very little experience with LaTeX, so I only have the binaries. Texlive won't compile on the pandora, the GCC version in the Ångström repos has a bug in it that prevents compilation.

Here's the content of my test-PND, with LyX and Ghostscript: download.

A bit messy, but it isn't a final release.

Back