Looking For...

frostwing

Still Fresh
I'm a complete nubee (sp?) to the whole open source world. I simply heard about this great system that allows you to download emulators and play endless gaming classics. I don't really know what I'm doing, I don't know the difference between a MAME and a Port, and I certainly can't develop anything, I just want to play classic games. Am I the only person on here like that?

Replacement copy--Nevermind, I just read the forum rules--if anyone read the previous copy, disregard it now.--End Replacement copy.

Hope you guys can help me out here and I hope you don't mind the same basic request every now and then. Help out an old-skool gamer who doesn't have the techknowledge to actually contribute a single line of code to your cause?

frostwing posted on Dec 21 2005 at 04:25 PM said:
I'm a complete nubee (sp?) to the whole open source world. I simply heard about this great system that allows you to download emulators and play endless gaming classics. I don't really know what I'm doing, I don't know the difference between a MAME and a Port, and I certainly can't develop anything, I just want to play classic games. Am I the only person on here like that?

Replacement copy--Nevermind, I just read the forum rules--if anyone read the previous copy, disregard it now.--End Replacement copy.

Hope you guys can help me out here and I hope you don't mind the same basic request every now and then. Help out an old-skool gamer who doesn't have the techknowledge to actually contribute a single line of code to your cause?

the best thing to start off with is to just a pick a decent emulator from the downloads section, stick it on your SD card, along with some games for it, make sure you read its 'readme.txt' file, and away you go.

i would recommend 'Frodo' which is a C64 emulator, and 'DrMD' which is a Sega-megadrive emulator. They're both really good, and also very simple to setup and run.

Last edited by a moderator:
An emulator is a program that tells the computer to pretend to be another type of computer, if you like (Genesis, GBC, NES, SNES whatever).

As you will see from the FAQs to actually run a game on an emulator you wiull need a file called a ROM. Each individual game has it's own ROM file. This is the file with all the game info in. Don't ask here where you can get them from (Rule 1). Thats down to you.

MAME stands for Multi Arcade Machine Emulator and does exactly what it says on the tin

A Port is a conversion of a game direct to the console, from another version.

There are a few grumpy people here but we are mostly friendly and a good search of the forums (using the search function) and the FAQs will keep the moaners at bay (Rule 2).

The GP2X is very new and many emulators are not the finished product as yet, but you can contribute by trying them and giving the developers feedback to help them on improvements. The communinty is very much as big a part of the hobby as the console itself!

Welcome and enjoy. ;)

Back