Looking for some kind of interesting screensaver.

John D.

I have not seen anybody else voice interest in this, but I would like to have a screen saver on the pandora. You know, something calming or soothing to watch when listening to music, if you just have it sitting on your desk while doing another task, etc.

I would especially like to be able to run the "Really Slick Screensavers" at http://www.reallyslick.com/

Could somebody share info on how to make this possible on Pandora?

I think the argument is that a screen saver would use up batter power...every little bit of battery power is crucial to the enjoyment of Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandoras battery is huge and can probably absorb a little screensaver action without too much hit, or so I'd have thought. A bigger argument is surely the use of NAND space for items many wouldn't use, same as boot up animations/sounds etc or a sound scheme within the OS.

I imagine the normal XFCE screensaver functions have been trimmed out of the Pandora version of XFCE but surely they could be re-added via opkg if someone in the know will point to where?

A better option for this kind of thing would be a PND or OPKG installer like Dave1234's for the Dev tools, which covers options such as these. The current screenblanking, is pretty pointless and largely just annoys people when attempting to watch videos. Its fairly easily disabled but some user friendly control of this option would be far better, with the option to install these features and any screensavers the user wishes via a PND or somesuch.

You may wish to dive into the XFCE screensaver settings via google searches of Linux forums for clues as to how to go about this yourself, in the absence of anyone in the know stepping forward, something along these lines for example http://www.linuxques...ensaver-458516/ but if your unfamiliar with Linux, you'll probably need alot of time for experimentation and would be wiser to do so via an SD install, rather than the NAND set up.

Hope you get somewhere :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back