Looking fo a silent PC

I have a VIA motherboard and CPU, up to certain speeds the CPU does not need a fan at all and because it consumes very little power you can feed it with an external, 100% silent, powersupply ( like the ones used for laptops ).

I'd suggest checking out the VIA Epia site ( the motherboards and CPU's come as a package ) here and check the mini-itx motherboards.

I have a VIA Epia system and running 2D apps is no problem: internet, burning and software development will not be a problem. I also use it for music and DVD playback, office applications, graphics ( drawing / scanning / editing ) and 2D games ( retrogaming, mostly Mame ).

The Seagate Barracuda IV is a very good suggestion. It isn't silent but it is as close as it gets.

The thing about building quiet PCs is... the closest you get to silence the easier it is to hear those other components and the louder they appear to be. LOL

This is, unfortunately, very true. Better be carefull: once you get started you will never tolerate a noisy PC again :)

If you are doing so little on your pc and just using it for the internet then i would say theese specs would be ample

Amd 1300+
128mb sdram
80gb hdd
cdrw/dvd combo drive
32mb graphx card
monitor

this will be powerfull enough for internet use and some minor gaming.

blipped4 posted on Dec 12 2003 at 01:09 AM said:
If you are doing so little on your pc and just using it for the internet then i would say theese specs would be ample

Amd 1300+
128mb sdram
80gb hdd
cdrw/dvd combo drive
32mb graphx card
monitor

this will be powerfull enough for internet use and some minor gaming.
As long as you don't want to play Half Life 2 or Doom III, but I'm sure they'll be rubbish anyway... :p

Seriously look at Shuttle PC's, they're great!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes,the slick is a cube.
Any of the cubes i find are expensive and hard to upgrade,the actual case takes up more space on your dektop any way and can only have a maximum of two drives.

Cube pc

Pros
-light
-moveable
-good looks (i think theyre ugly as hell)
-fashion icon (for some)

Cons
-take alot of room
-hard to upgrade
-fiddly
-breakable
-love or hate relationship
-too big to be as light as a laptop too small to be a stable as a pc
-not quiet

Cons
-take alot of room !!! Eh?
-hard to upgrade
-fiddly Those two are true
-breakable As long as you're cafeful putting it together there's no problem
-too big to be as light as a laptop too small to be a stable as a pc Perfectly stable the latest ones are even overclockable
-not quiet Has no CPU fan and fans that adjust speed with temperature to keep the noise down

WHat are you on about

"Perfectly stable the latest ones are even overclockable"by thew bluenewt

Its not an in built motherboard!!You put your own in!Every motherboard is ovlerclockable (amd only) yes they all are using some copper thread and he zif socket.

blipped4 posted on Dec 13 2003 at 03:43 PM said:
WHat are you on about

"Perfectly stable the latest ones are even overclockable"by thew bluenewt

Its not an in built motherboard!!You put your own in!Every motherboard is ovlerclockable (amd only) yes they all are using some copper thread and he zif socket.
All the Shuttle PCs have built-in motherboards, so there! :p

Ok ok man you one that (damn you! :p ) but the motherboard can be overclcked, have you ever tried using the copper wire method?Or the zinc and copper based pvc to make a barton into an MP?

blipped4 posted on Dec 13 2003 at 06:38 PM said:
Ok ok man you one that (damn you! :p ) but the motherboard can be overclcked, have you ever tried using the copper wire method?Or the zinc and copper based pvc to make a barton into an MP?
God, no! It's the most I can do to chip my Saturn! :D

well you could go to the far extreme and get one of these when there out :p

Totally silent pc case > http://www.zalman.co.kr/news/2003/20031125_1.htm

completely fanless! basically the whole case is one big Heatsink!

Otherwise get a quiet case like an - Antec Sonata Piano Black Quiet Case - 380W TruePower Silent PSU.

Get a bloody great pure copper heat sink like a Thermalright SLK-900A and stick a slient 92mm fan on top of it. Bigger the fan less noise it makes

get a motherboard with a passive heatsink on the chipset.

if your not into gaming get a radeon 9200 or geforce fx 5200 quite a few of those models are passively cooled.

won't be 100% silent but it be pretty damn quiet

Avoid akasa's there not that greater fans and there not that quiet

Quietest fans are probably papst but there pricey but you can't hear them ;)

that case looks shit and expensive,whats the point in this case????By the time the hot air has been expelled from the component it would be cooled slightly sorry but thats just a shit idea.

Back