GP32 'locking' Smartmedia

ewokmic

Still Fresh
Website
www.angelfire.com
I don't own any retail gp32 games so wonder how the games is locked onto the card. If i wanted to lock a homebrew game onto a card is there any way i could do it? If not then how do the comercial games not get spread around?

Thanks for the help!

Commercial games are encryted to the GP32 'something' code meaning that it will only work on that gp32 or ones with the same code (if any).. the ones that are floating about have been cracked to work on any gp32..

yaustar posted on Feb 4 2005 at 04:19 AM said:
Commercial games are encryted to the GP32 'something' code meaning that it will only work on that gp32 or ones with the same code (if any).. the ones that are floating about have been cracked to work on any gp32..

good answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
They can be encrypted to your gp32 (its PDUID) or your smc (its SMCID).

The boxed commercial games are encrypted to the SMCID of the smc that they come on, by the manufacturer.

The commericial games that you pay for and then download (at Gameparks site, or formally at the now defunct Entware/Joygp) are encrypted to your gp32's PDUID when you download it.

To 'lock' a program yourself, you need special software you can only (legally) get from Gamepark. You probably have to pay them...

The sticker will keep your smartmedia from being overwritten...in a smc reader (gp32 doesn't detect it). And that only keeps it from being overwritten. It's a round metallic sticker that you stick where the little white circle on the front is. It completes a circuit, because its metal and conductive, and the smc reader can detect this through a pin.

What I think Ewokmic was talking about is keeping your program from being
copied (by others) by makeing it only work for you (like commercial games).

Back