GP32 little porting guide?

Sonic-NKT

hi,
is there a porting guide for the gp32 out or something like that, which discribes the main moves of porting a program to the gp32?
i want to learn and try porting some sdl emus but dont know much about it..
Thanks

no porting guide, and if there were one it wouldn't be little ;) when you are porting a game you need to go throguh the source code and look for commands that are similar to those it the source. i haven't ported ANYTHING but thats what i asume...

It's a matter of compiling it, seeing what errors there are, fixing some errors (replacing code etc), compiling again, checking the errors, fixing... etc

You gradually work your way through the code trying to get each part to compile without errors. Sometimes it can take a very long time, and sometimes it can be a quick task.

Nitro posted on Aug 17 2003 said:
It's a matter of compiling it, seeing what errors there are, fixing some errors (replacing code etc), compiling again, checking the errors, fixing... etc

You gradually work your way through the code trying to get each part to compile without errors. Sometimes it can take a very long time, and sometimes it can be a quick task.
Has someone ever took the time (even if not on a GP32 specific port) tp go through a porting project and then

1. Documented some of these errors seen.
2. Documented some of these errors fixed.
3. Documenting the results?

This would be an interesting lesson for some if done in some helpful detail. . . rather than a 'little' manual, no?

HZ :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's such a vast amount of errors that could come up, and such a vast amount of ways to fix them... it would be kind of hard to documentate it. Porting isn't really something you do unless you have good knowledge of platform you're porting to and the language you're doing it in.

Getting it to compile is only one part. After this you have to look at GP32 specific issues like screen handling, input, file system, sound system etc. before you have a good working port.

Basically, if you can't code, you can't port. It's not as simple as just running a compiler. You'll need to know what the code does that causes the error, and what to do to replace it.

Back