Little John Z Clone

Jlobel

Still Fresh
there should be a all in one emulator where u install a emulator and then load extentions to it (the extensions being nes - snes - genesis etc) so if u want certain ones but not the others u dont need to install em. maybe having it similar lookin or wutever to little john z which is on the palm

Nice idea, but something like that usually only gets done by a couple of people, so doesn't usually get the optimisation you would get from having each emulator completely seperate.

I think the best idea would be to keep the emulators seperate, and have a menu system (gmenu2x perhaps?) to load the appropriate emulator for a certain rom and pass arguments stating the path to the rom/etc.

Gmenu2x is a very good 'workaround'. The main problem are the emulators itself. The devs need to add (or don't remove) command line support.
I'd love to see command line support for:
- OutcaST (was promised by Skeezix)
- PocketSNES (was promised by Reezy)
- Vice2x

etc.

The all-in-one-emu with "plugins" sounds like a great idea to me. What does the emulator developer say about it, would you make a plugin of your emulators if there were a "universal" emulator?

of course, it'd be nice, but i think it's a bit much to ask of people who work (read: volunteer) separately in different parts of the world, speak different languages, etc.

but gmen2x comes very close to doing this...for the emulators that use selector to load roms, you can use gmenu2x instead without "launching" anything...it can pass custom arguments and even load preview images. for instance, i use it for gpfce and have it show box art. the more emus have command line rom loading, the more people can use this.

Zider said:
The all-in-one-emu with "plugins" sounds like a great idea to me. What does the emulator developer say about it, would you make a plugin of your emulators if there were a "universal" emulator?
A command line plugin would be easier to implement, and thus I would of thought more likely to get support than a complete new executable (plugin). They then only have to regenerate one file when the emulator gets updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zider said:
An emulator suite with the same menu style (like ZX-81's ) would do the same thing really. The difference is that if they are separate you could get to the one you want quicker. With them combined you would load the menu then load the emu from that menu. With them separate you would just load the emu you wanted directly. I don't see any advantage to a combined emu. It would be nice to have LittleJohn for the reason that some of the LittleJohn emus seem to work better than what we have now like NES and maybe PC-Engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back