List The Phones That Can Tether With The Pandora

WizardStan said:
Bosbeetle said:
Plowman said:
According to all the info I can find, phones that can run Android 2.2 will be able to use the new "app" that it has to make the phone a WiFi hotspot.
ad-hoc wifi is not supported (yet) by the pandora
If it works in any way like my Nokia 9500, it doesn't create an ad-hoc connection but actually turns the phone into a standard access point. Just connect to it as if it were any other router.

At least the application I mentioned uses ad-hoc methods, so yeah, no support, yet. But yeah, I wont be seeing a Pandora for some time to come, so I am holding out for ad-hoc support by the time I get mine ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thing is selling at stores where I live, but I don't remember what its called. its this device the size of a cell phone, and when you hold it next to your computer, it lets it connect to 3g or something. dont remember the details. don't know if it works with the pandora. its either bluetooth, or creates a wireless network.

yodaofborg said:
WizardStan said:
Bosbeetle said:
Plowman said:
According to all the info I can find, phones that can run Android 2.2 will be able to use the new "app" that it has to make the phone a WiFi hotspot.
ad-hoc wifi is not supported (yet) by the pandora
If it works in any way like my Nokia 9500, it doesn't create an ad-hoc connection but actually turns the phone into a standard access point. Just connect to it as if it were any other router.

At least the application I mentioned uses ad-hoc methods, so yeah, no support, yet. But yeah, I wont be seeing a Pandora for some time to come, so I am holding out for ad-hoc support by the time I get mine ;)

Off topic: but shouldn't you have been in work today ;) Get well soon mate

No ad-hoc? I do hope they fix that, as I'd like to use wifi tethering on my Android phone when I get my Pandora.
EDIT: But all Android phones support Bluetooth and USB tethering as well using PDAnet, though I don't know if that will work on the Pandora (it has it's own client on Windows, but might work without it, haven't messed around since the client works fine)

wait, is it the pandora itself that doesnt support ad-hoc, or is it the adapter? couldnt you just installa usb wlan adapter?

my laptops internal wlan adapter doesn't support ad-hoc, but my usb wlan adapter does.

Com64 said:
This thing is selling at stores where I live, but I don't remember what its called. its this device the size of a cell phone, and when you hold it next to your computer, it lets it connect to 3g or something. dont remember the details. don't know if it works with the pandora. its either bluetooth, or creates a wireless network.
MiFi

Com64 said:
wait, is it the pandora itself that doesnt support ad-hoc, or is it the adapter? couldnt you just installa usb wlan adapter?

my laptops internal wlan adapter doesn't support ad-hoc, but my usb wlan adapter does.
The Pandora doesn't support ad-hoc yet. It's not enabled in the driver. The hardware is certainly capable of it, just need for someone to actually fix it, but no one is certain when that'll be.

My Pandora is everywhere 3G is ,currently having its way with my Nexus 1's wireless WIFI hotspot (Using Froyo Cyanogen mod RC6).

Could there be a better pairing between phone and gaming console...I think not.
:)

All you guys seem to have fancy phones :D any luck with the less fancy ones. I want a phone for calling mainly :D

At the moment I have a Sony Ericson C902 and its notoriously bad with linux (I read in most places)

Bosbeetle said:
At the moment I have a Sony Ericson C902 and its notoriously bad with linux (I read in most places)

Indeed, in fact the last few phones I had were Sony Ericsson, and all three of them were impossible* to get tethering working in Linux, even sending a text message via AT commands to these phones was a no no. The only thing I could get working correctly was file transfer. I don't have a Pandora yet, but some dude off these forums has been saying he will pop round with his soon, so if I don't get too wasted, I'll have a go at connecting up a few phones.

*Nothing is impossible, but after a few firmware flashes of said phones (yeah, I really wanted to get it working) the BT module packed up, so I gave up :)

[off topic]

Yo mvickers, don't forget your Pandora on Friday :D

Bosbeetle said:
All you guys seem to have fancy phones :D any luck with the less fancy ones. I want a phone for calling mainly :D

Pseudo-Edit: I checked your C902. It seems to be better than my current phone at connectivity (HSDPA), so I'd count that as a fancy phone, except that I dont really get a good idea about it's "OS" on the page, so dunno... But it should technically be capable of tethering with bluetooth. I cant say anything about linux and that phone because well I havent tried :p, but if I'd have one, I would try to tether it before going for a new one. Now on with my original post:

I'm sorry that I cant give personal (eg. I've used this) recommendation, because my phone is a) obsolete and B) was fancy when new; but just to note that the cheapest (in the finnish nokia online store, when I checked) new nokia phone with bluetooth and 3G and modem ability would be Nokia 2730 Classic at 89€. Of course if you dont need a new phone, you can get used stuff that has those basic abilities for less. For an example the 3120c does the same and I've seen it sold online for about 45€, maybe even much less. If you only want a phone that can be tethered with usb (but that would be real clumsy with the pandora, and they're often 1.1, so add hub) and has GPRS, then uh you're wanting a phone thats older than your current one :p ... Well my old 3220 used to do that well :p

Bosbeetle said:

I've been using LG phones on Verizon for tethering (both USB and Bluetooth) for years with Linux (including my N800) but it's rather plan dependent, and model dependent - some need tweaking to enable it on EVDO. (It will try and fail until enabled instead of using 1xRTT)
There are various howtos to google about the subject.

Edit: This is not a reply to help Bosbeetle, unfortunately. Verizon is a CDMA network and I think it's US only. I also used Sprint (another US CDMA network) the same way before they changed the terms of my plan out from under me. I have no experience with GSM tethering.

Nokia 6110 navigator via bluetooth works perfectly with simyo, using pppd to make the call. I plan to do a tutorial one of these days.

Haven't got USB to work yet though...

Are there any non smartphones that work with bluetooth tethering? It is ten additional dollars a month if you have a smartphone on the verizon network. I would rather not have to pay that much extra because 50 bucks a month is already tough on the pocketbook.

Has anyone tried Metro PCS? They advertise 40 bucks a month with a smartphone, unlimited internet usage, and NO CONTRACT if I'm not mistaken. I think it is only available on California though. It sounds to good to be true.

Edit: wording

XxionxX said:
Are there any non smartphones that work with bluetooth tethering? It is ten additional dollars a month if you have a smartphone on the verizon network. I would rather not have to pay that much extra because 50 bucks a month is already tough on the pocketbook.

Has anyone tried Metro PCS? They advertise 40 bucks a month with a smartphone, unlimited internet usage, and NO CONTRACT if I'm not mistaken. I think it is only available on California though. It sounds to good to be true.

Edit: wording

Did you see my post above?
I guess I didn't make it clear but I've never owned a smartphone, all the phones I've tethered with were the normal kind. If you have an older plan that includes data (either unlimited or data-costs-minutes (and free nights/weekends)) then you should check certain forums by someone named Howard to see if your regular phone already supports it. I have used the following phones for bluetooth tethering on Verizon, all LG:
VX5300
VX5500
VX8300 (Good phone, still have as backup)
VX9900 (enV)
VX11000 (enV Touch - it's still not a smartphone) (Current)
(and some older ones that didn't have bluetooth, USB only)

I have also used Samsung and Sanyo phones on Sprint (ages ago, very much pre-bluetooth)

I have a razr, will that work? A forum with someone named howard... ... ... This will take a while.

Anyway if anyone has Metro PCS let me know how that is working for you. My contract is up with Verizon and if anyone has some experience with Metro it would be really helpful because I would love to tether my Panda when it comes.

sixela said:
My Pandora is everywhere 3G is ,currently having its way with my Nexus 1's wireless WIFI hotspot (Using Froyo Cyanogen mod RC6).

Could there be a better pairing between phone and gaming console...I think not.
:)

Are you using Froyo's built in tethering or the Wireless Tether app? Verizon doesn't have any Froyo tethering data plans for my handset (because the Motorola Droid (I refuse to call it Droid1) is still on 2.1). Plus they charge extra anyway for something I already pay for and can use on my computer with a rooted phone and the app.

XxionxX said:
I have a razr, will that work? A forum with someone named howard... ... ... This will take a while.

Anyway if anyone has Metro PCS let me know how that is working for you. My contract is up with Verizon and if anyone has some experience with Metro it would be really helpful because I would love to tether my Panda when it comes.

I was being silly on purpose with the hint (Google would get you there if you search for: howard forums). http://www.howardforums.com/forum.php

(The site isn't as good as it used to be, it got too big and the carriers/manufactures started forcing them to moderate more. Back in the day it might not have been acceptable to link there directly due to certain topics on the site not being so legal.)

As for your Razr, just google it, but with the specific model number and the word tether.

Back